Windows 10 Long Domain-connection Absence Issues for Member PC and/or User Account

• Thread starter Thread starter Dieter Tontsch, mobileX
  • Start date Start date
D

Dieter Tontsch, mobileX

I wonder what implications might a rather long absence of a Windows Domain Member PC (and user Account) due to long homeoffice activity bring up.
Before Corona we used to do homeoffice on a regular base, maybe one or two days a week at max. Now, some users didn't show up in the office since 10 and more weeks. All our users are equipped with RoadWarrior SSL VP (Sophos), but this is a dialin VPN which is not active and running at the moment the user logs in to his computer. It is up to the user whether he starts VPN or not, because some applications like Exchange/Outlook or SharePoint are also accessible without VPN.

I am thinking of some issues wich might occur in time like:
- WSUS updates, will they get them the same reliable way as if there where in the office LAN. From my experience WSUS is anyway quit lame and unpredictable
- GPOs, will thy apply? WIll they timeout at some pint and get reloaded once the user/computer has contact to the DCs?
- will cached credentials of the user account or computer domain membership time out at some point? If yes, what is the default and where can this be set?
- any other issues I do not think of right now?

Lets assume users do not care, they are connected to Domain via VPN on a random base, at least once or twice a week, but they do never do gpupdate or such manually etc. Will this go fine for a long time, or will we gt issues with Domain-related services?

kind regards,
Dieter

More...

Back