Windows 10 Interactive log on: Prompt the user to change passwords before expiration - what triggers the prompt? how often? what has to be in place for it to wor

• Thread starter Thread starter jrauman
  • Start date Start date
J

jrauman

We use the following policy to remind users to reset their password before it expires.

Interactive log on: Prompt the user to change passwords before expiration

We have this set to enabled and 14 days is the number of days before expiration that it starts prompting. My question is this: What actually triggers the prompt? If my password will expire in 14 or less days, i obviously meet the requirement for the policy to take effect, but what actually happens in Windows 10 that triggers Windows to show that notification? It appears that it triggers shortly after Sign On. I'm doing some tests to see if i can figure out exactly what the trigger is. Is it X minutes after Sign On? Is it after Sign On and the next time you use the computer to do something? And do you only get one prompt for every Sign On? or every day? hour? Will you get prompted if you lock and then unlock Windows? Will you get prompted if you Sign Out and then Sign In immediately after that? And what conditions have to be in place for the prompt to work? Do you have to be connected to your domain network? or can you be offline and still get it? do you have to have an active Internet connection at least? or can i get it if i have no ethernet/wifi enabled and am 100% offline?

And if it doesnt work for a user on our domain, what might be preventing it from working? They have the policy set the same as everyone else (we checked with RSOP). What might be breaking it? A notification setting?

More...

Back