Windows 10 Task manager UAC bug also affects windows 10

• Thread starter Thread starter Jordan Mills
  • Start date Start date
J

Jordan Mills

There's a bug, noted in several previous threads, where the task manager begins to require UAC elevation when run on Windows 8.1, windows 7, etc. I've just experienced the same issue in Windows 10, but this time it only affects task manager when run with the desktop shortcut key (control+shift+escape). Unlike the behavior I noted on previous versions, it is not apparent when running taskmgr.exe from a non-elevated powershell window (though it does prompt for the UAC when I run task manager from a non-elevated command prompt). If I enter credentials, even non-admin credentials, at the UAC prompt, then the task manager runs as expected.

Other threads like this are dismissed with answers such as "it requires event tracing for windows which requires elevation" but that is clearly not the case.

I'm not able to determine what, if anything changes. But on a fresh default installation, the task manager works as expected, and will run from a non-elevated command line or with the desktop shortcut key (control+shift+escape) without any prompts or elevation. Then, apparently after an unidentified trigger, it begins to require elevantion and will not run without it.

I've tried setting the __compat_layer variable to runasinvoker with no effect (though I'm not sure if that works in windows 10), checking application compatibility, and of course restarting, but none of it changes the behavior.

Any suggestions on what else to look at?

More...

Back