Windows 7 Windows Installation on a Replacement HDD

• Thread starter Thread starter mcarlucci
  • Start date Start date
M

mcarlucci

I am attempting to resurrect an older desktop Pavilion p6644y (see specs below) within which the original hard drive had died; it is completely inaccessible. I've purchased a new HDD (see specs below), installed said blank physical device, and am now caught up in the frustrating process of trying to load Windows 7 Home Premium (from disc). NOTE: Budgeting is limited. So, in trying to keep costs down on this project for now, I’m loading Win7 because I own a disc and product key. I’ll worry about a Windows upgrade later.

The Issue:

The setup sequence gets hung up/freezing at one of two points during the time interval within the first moments of powering up. This happens immediately following the initial driver load where the progression bar is viewed (“ Windows is loading files…”), right at the point when the logo appears (“Starting Windows”). When booting it in safe mode to view the actual file load sequence, the freeze points are revealed:

windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
or…

windows\system32\DRIVERS\ahcix64s.sys

I’ve read quite a few root cause analysis along with possible fixes/solutions, e.g. limiting the RAM, BIOS tweaking (disabling secure boot/UEFI), AHCI etc. But, none have worked. For one thing, my BIOS doesn’t even have a “Security” section or an option to disable secure boot. The RAM thing (removing a stick/DDR to limit memory to 1 or 2GB) failed.

Desktop Specs:

HP Pavilion p6644y SE
H-I41-uATX (Eton) - motherboard

New replacement HDD:

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - OEM

More...

Back