Block apps from accessing internet by default...

• Thread starter Thread starter Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
  • Start date Start date
S

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan

Good day guys,

I have decided to use my computer with Windows Defender as the security solution. I would like to keep my system as lean and lightweight, as is possible. But Windows Firewall is little complicated. And given that I am from a non-technical background, I don't want to tinker with it too much.

By default, I would like to block any program I install from accessing the internet, and only permit access as I think is necessary. For example, a video player I may download has no need to access internet for my use. I will manually check for updates as and when necessary.

When searching online, I found this:

Allow/Block Multiple Programs Through Windows Firewall (tested and works on 7,8 & 10) - Stuff >

This link contains a batch file that, when run as an administrator, will automatically block all .exe and .dll files within the folder (as well as sub-folders), where this batch file is located, from accessing the internet. Very nice little utility.

This is what I plan to do:

Except for the most important programs and those than need internet to work, I plan to install all other softwares in a separate folder called 'Programs' inside the C: drive. This folder will contain this batch file.

Here are my queries:

1. Is this batch file safe to run?

2. Do I need to run this batch file every time I install a program?

3. Will each run duplicate the previously created entries in Windows Firewall?

4. Will this slow down my system?
As a test case, I installed just one program - VLC, and this batch file created well over 300 entries in Windows Firewall!

5. Is my approach effective? Does this batch file completely block all internet connections? I tried to check for updates from within VLC, and it failed.

6. How do I block apps that I download from Microsoft Store?

Thanks very much in advance.

More...

Back