Windows 10 rundll32.exe Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.

• Thread starter Thread starter jmarkfoley
  • Start date Start date
J

jmarkfoley

A couple of days ago two of the users in the office tried to print to the office network printer and got an error. On one workstation I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer. During the scan, I clicked on the option "The printer that I want isn’t listed" and got the error, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\printui.exe / Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I was doing this as the an administrator.

On the other workstation I tried printing a test page and go the error, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe, ..." with the same "cannot access" message.

I've tried various things I've found on the Internet, including trying several of the "tweaks" described here, Fix Windows Cannot Access the Specified Device, Path, or File - XtremeRain. Specifically, solution 2: Enabling - Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account; solution 3: Check the File or Folder Permission; and solution 6: Repair corrupt file system (scf /scannow; Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image ...). None of that worked and the user still cannot print. All users in the office, other than these two, can still print to the network printer without problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

More...

Back