Windows 10 Cannot mount ISO files (neither via PowerShell nor via Explorer), Win10 pro 1909, error 0x80070079

• Thread starter Thread starter Blavov
  • Start date Start date
B

Blavov

Hi all,

I recently found out that my fairly fresh Win10 installation cannot mount any ISO files (which are totally fine because other tools can open and extract them) whatsoever. When I try to do this in Windows Explorer or in the PowerShell, for several minutes, nothing at all seems to happen before I get an error message. The explorer just says there was a problem mounting the file; PowerShell writes the following:

Mount-DiskImage D:\tmp\90f226a1-3cad-4bd7-a047-fc0609afcbab.iso
Mount-DiskImage : The semaphore timeout period has expired.
At line:1 char:1
+ Mount-DiskImage D:\tmp\90f226a1-3cad-4bd7-a047-fc0609afcbab.iso
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (MSFT_DiskImage ...torageType = 1):ROOT/Microsoft/.../MSFT_DiskImage) [Mou
nt-DiskImage], CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80070079,Mount-DiskImage

The OS in question is a Win10 pro (1909, build 18363.900, latest patches, 2004 is not available for my machine yet); as far as I know, this hasn't worked since I freshly installed the PC back in April. I disabled the anti-virus, have checked that ISO files are still associated with windows and not some third-party tool, checked that the 2TB NTFS SSD is okay, copied the ISO files to different locations, but nothing seems to work. How can I get my Win10 installation to open ISO files?

Any new/further idea is appreciated.

More...