Windows 10 Screen/display sleep problem

• Thread starter Thread starter RWT70
  • Start date Start date
R

RWT70

Recent convert from win7pro to win10pro. Display sleep function worked perfectly under win7pro. After conversion to win10pro, display would sleep at designated interval, but then immediately wake without any intentional trigger action. I've been through all the procedures for eliminating wake triggers in device manager. Safe mode, process of elimination eventually traced the wake trigger to the Nvidia display container service, used for Nvidia Control Panel.

Before I'm told to take this bug to Nvidia, I'll offer the following. The Nvidia Control Panel software version, and associated container service, was the exact version used under win7pro. The win10 conversion did not change/update this application. There is an on-going, nearly 4yr, thread on the Nvidia support site addressing win10 sleep issues associated with Geforce Experience and/or Nvidia Control Panel. It remains unresolved. This bug has occurred with all manner of Nvidia drivers, win10 updates, and so forth. Stopping Nvidia display container service restores proper sleep function, as a workaround. For Nvidia GPUs it is desirable to use the container service such that graphics parameters can be adjusted/tuned per the Nvidia Control Panel.

In my case, nothing registered in the powercfg wake commands (do they record display wake triggers?). A powercfg /energy command produced a comprehensive log of computer activity during a sleep/wake interval, but nothing related to display wake was evident. Similarly, nothing relevant appears on the windows event logs.

What changed in win10 (from win7) that produces this behavior?

More...

Back