Windows 10 File named "debug.log" is being created in a several Windows folders. How can I troubleshoot and resolve?

• Thread starter Thread starter cagross99
  • Start date Start date
C

cagross99

Hello. A few weeks ago I noticed a file named `debug.log` begin to appear in a few Windows folders (Win 10, x64). How can I go about determining the origin, and preventing them from being created?

The contents of the file are log entries of this form:

[0810/181603.876:ERROR:crash_report_database_win.cc(427)] unexpected header
[0810/182501.651:ERROR:crash_report_database_win.cc(427)] unexpected header
[0810/192930.630:ERROR:crash_report_database_win.cc(427)] unexpected header

Each file typically only has a handful of such lines (1-5). There are several of these debug.log files on my computer, in seemingly random folders.

I have found one way to reproduce the issue. On my computer is a Google Sheets file shop.gsheet. Whenever I open this file (the file opens in Google Chrome), the debug.log file is created. If I copy this Google Sheets file to another folder and open it, a new debug.log file is created in that new folder. But this isn't the only way debug.log files are being created. The mysterious log files exit in folders that do *not* possess Google Sheets files. One such log file is in my folder D:\temp (which has no Google Sheets files, or any Google-type files at all), and a few new entries get logged to that file every day. If I delete it, the file returns within a day.

Thanks in advance.

More...

Back