Virus Alert from Microsoft

• Thread starter Thread starter Via Kumar
  • Start date Start date
V

Via Kumar

Hi, my mom was trying to access Facebook on our family Dell laptop on chrome. Suddenly, the laptop began to ring an alarm and began to say "Important security message. Your computer has been locked up. Your ips address was used without your knowledge or consent to visit websites that contains identity theft virus. To unlock your computer, please call support immediately. Please do not attempt to shut down or restart your computer. Doing that may lead to data loss and identity theft. The computer lock is aimed to stop illegal activity. Please call our support immediately." There are a few pop ups, including an orange one that says "Microsoft protected your PC. Windows Smartscreen prevented an unrecognizable app from starting. Running this app mighr put our PC at risk. For technical support, call on +1-888-530-4416." I continued to call technical support. She walked me through the steps of opening Internet Explorer. We ran into the issue that the latop had no connection to the proxy server. She offered to lend me over to a network technician for $199.99. Is this legit? I'm having a hard time verifying the number as well. I honestly have no idea what's going on. Thank you for your time.

More...