Windows Defender Antivirus Service - Mix of Manual and Automatic (Win 10 v1903 x64)

• Thread starter Thread starter EddieR78701
  • Start date Start date
E

EddieR78701

We have an application problem that the vendor blames on Windows Defender Antivirus. We use Group Policy to disable Windows Defender going back to Windows 7 because we use a non-Microsoft antivirus product whose documentation said to disable. So I was quite surprised that on this employee's PC to find the Windows Defender Antivirus service set to Automatic. I checked several systems and sometimes the service is set to Manual and other times it is set to Automatic. Resultant Set of Policies shows that the setting is correct and the registry key that supports this matches. PCs in the same OU as well (I always use RSoP to verify group policy is applying).

Any thoughts on why the service would not be set identically on all systems who have the same GPO set? (All of these systems were originally 1809 and upgraded to 1903 and the GPO setting has been in place going back before Windows 10 was adopted.)

Any thoughts on how to get the service set to Manual since the UI for Windows Defender is not available? Tamper Protection is enabled per Protect security settings with tamper protection - Windows security and we do not have Intune licenses.

GPO Setting:

Computer Configuration - Administative Templates - Windows Components - Windows Defender Antivirus

Setting: Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus - Set to Enabled (Enabled = it is not supposed to run or scan)

More...

Back