Suspicious activity with Malware Removal Tool.

• Thread starter Thread starter SI74
  • Start date Start date
S

SI74

Hi there,

I am running Windows 10 Pro (20H2) on a Dell XPS Laptop. I have been using Norton 360 for virus protection, in addition to using the Windows Defender and Malware Removal Tool.

Norton recently began blocking suspected Trojan activity as of late October. Although the virus was supposedly quarantined, Norton has continued to block attempted outgoing traffic.

I've run Norton, MalwareBytes, Windows Defender, and Windows MRT, and found nothing at all.

Here's the weird thing - when I ran MRT in airplane mode, and with my router unplugged, there was a "pop-up" that indicated MRT was supposedly downloading, and had successfully downloaded, a file. I took a screenshot of this, which really provides no meaningful info other than the time of the "download." 3:50 PM.

MRT found nothing; however, when I look at the file properties, they say that the file was last modified at 3:51PM.

I don't know a great deal about computers; however, I have two major questions:

1) How can Windows MRT successfully download a file without network access (which I'm assuming, it can't)?

2) Is it possible that I have a malware file on my system that is successfully modifying the MRT, so that it is unable to find the malware? Like I said no app has found anything further on my system - but I find this behaviour very weird.

More...

Back