Confusing trojan detection/possible false positive? (Trojan:Script/Foretype.a!ml)

• Thread starter Thread starter AliceTengu
  • Start date Start date
A

AliceTengu

Hello,

I send this as I've just come back to my computer tonight to find that Windows Defender just finished a scan, detecting one threat on my computer, a Trojan labelled as I describe in the subject. The details provided on the scan states that it can initiate commands from an attacker. What I find strange is that the detection was on a zip file I've had an extracted version of on my PC for a while now, downloaded from a place I'm pretty sure I trust, (Its a well-known fangame, Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch. I assume that if there were similar issues from anyone who downloaded this game, I'd have heard about it by now.) that, on scanning, did not turn up the same thing. Two questions occur: Why is it specifically that file, and if I've had this infected file on my PC for about a month now, why is it only being detected now? A part of me is wondering if this could be a false positive, but I don't want to assume anything and leave a possibly severe issue unresolved.

Thanks,

- Alice

More...

Back