Windows Defender detected something very odd, not sure what to do.

• Thread starter Thread starter joketer
  • Start date Start date
J

joketer

[COLOR=rgba(26, 26, 27, 1)]So I was sort of in a rush to do this because I needed the footage for a video and may have accidentally downloaded something malicious. I was trying to find a method to run Crash Bandicoot 4 on ultrawide. Eventually I found a method where you just modify a couple hex which is working perfectly for me now but before this I downloaded some .exe from a random Polish website, I assumed it was something you just put in the game directory and it made ultrawide work, as I've downloaded similar mods for other games in the past. When I downloaded the file, I thought it looked odd, the name of the file was 'Crash Bandicoot™ 4 It's About Time.exe' which is not the name of any file in the game directory and the site said you were supposed to replace it with the main .exe of the game.

Here is a translation of the website basically claiming it to be safe:

"Note: some anti-viruses may mistakenly detect this mod as dangerous. This is nonsense, because the mod is completely safe and proven. It is simply not in the antivirus databases, and for that its purpose is to change other files, hence the incorrect threat detection."

As soon as I thought it was suspicious, I deleted it. I can't recall if I ran the .exe or not but I'm 99% sure I didn't. I then did a full scan on Windows Defender and got this. (Strangely nothing is showing up in my protection history now? I did take screenshots of it all though) Wacapew.C!ml. Can barely find any info on it.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/812514296520245279/829084983871668294/unknown.png

(I went to the locations of the files and deleted them, then I chose remove which probably did nothing as I already deleted them beforehand)

Windows Defender now says no current threats.

Still paranoid, I downloaded Adwcleaner and Malwarebytes. Adwcleaner found nothing, I did a full scan of the C: drive on Malwarebytes and that found nothing.

I also had a friend upload the file to virustotal and he got this (Some sites do detect it as malicious :L)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/384069359548760074/829108578974826606/20210406_174123.jpg

No idea what to think or what actions I should take next, should I backup and format the C: drive? Very unknowledgeable when it comes to this sort of stuff, viruses and malware have always made me extremely paranoid. Any help/advice appreciated. Thanks.[/COLOR]

More...

Back