Flappy Bird creator to remove game from app store, cites frustrations, pressures

• Thread starter Thread starter Harrison Kaminsky
  • Start date Start date
H

Harrison Kaminsky

19eb1fb6dea90eeac2da0c9f62c895e7.png

Flappy Bird, an Android and iOS application that took the gaming-world by storm over the past couple of weeks, will reportedly be shut down and removed from app stores by tomorrow, according to the app’s developer.

Flappy Bird developer Dong Nguyen (known on Twitter as @dongatory) revealed his plans for the app earlier today:

“I am sorry ‘Flappy Bird’ users, 22 hours from now, I will take ‘Flappy Bird’ down. I cannot take this anymore.”

Nguyen’s Twitter feed includes other tweets explaining his frustration with what he’s been dealing with since his app came into the public eye.

The game (and Nguyen) have been taking a lot of heat over the past few weeks, mostly because of controversy and allegations that Nguyen had been stealing art for his benefit, and that the game was extremely similar to many other popular “helicopter-style” applications.

Nonetheless, the app has reportedly been receiving around $50,000 in ad revenue each day— a number that likely would have continued to increase if Nguyen hadn’t decided to pull the app.

Some people simply can’t handle the pressure to perform, and it’s obvious that Nguyen is one of them.

“Press people are overrating the success of my games. It is something I never want,” Nguyen said.

If it were me, I’d think about donating the rights for the app to a charity or some sort of good cause before even thinking about throwing away all of my success down the drain. But then again, it’s not up to me…

Remember, this won’t affect anyone who currently has the app downloaded on their devices— aside from a lack of updates, this will just prevent new installs of the game onto other devices. So if you haven’t gotten a taste of that frustrating Flappy Bird action yet, this may be your last chance to try it out.

(Unless of course this is a PR stunt by the developer to get users to download the app in its “last moments of life” before it shuts down “for good.” We’ll known soon enough.)

Source: @Dongatory

Come comment on this article: Flappy Bird creator to remove game from app store, cites frustrations, pressures

8e11983fce2b5511a4d40e7af480f0b4._.gif

News via TalkAndroid

Back