Is there a compelling reason to buy an Android smartphone now that the iPhone 6 is upon us?

• Thread starter Thread starter Robert Nazarian
  • Start date Start date
R

Robert Nazarian

In case you were living under a rock, you probably know by now that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were both introduced yesterday. Just like every other iPhone that preceded them, Apple added specs that have been enjoyed by most Android users for a while now. Android faithful love to make fun of Apple in that they seem to always play catch up with Android, which is one of the biggest reasons why Android smartphones have enjoyed so much success. Consumers who might have bought an iPhone in the past, didn’t because of certain things that Apple failed to provide. However, it appears the gap is just about closed with the introduction of the new iPhones, and I am wondering if there is a compelling reason to buy an Android smartphone now?

There is no doubt that the iPhone changed the game when it was first introduced in 2007. Even the most die-hard Android fanboy couldn’t argue with that. At the time when the first Android handset was launched in 2008, the G1, it seemed near impossible that Android could put a dent into the iPhone’s market share, but it completely took over within a couple of years. The original DROID came onto the scene in late 2009, which was the beginning of a complete onslaught from the Android army.

Why did Android enjoy so much success? One obvious reason was that so many manufacturers adopted it, which lead to many choices in the market place. However, there were a few other important factors that helped even more. The iPhone originally launched with AT&T exclusivity here in the U.S., which actually hurt Apple’s potential sales. Many consumers adopted Android for this very reason since they could use any carrier they wanted to. Eventually the AT&T contract ended and the iPhone became available everywhere. However, Android still had one very big trump card.

That trump card was the screen size. If I had a nickel for every time someone told me they bought a Galaxy phone because of the screen size, I would be one rich man. Remember when the DROID X was introduced in 2010 with a 4.3-inch display? At that time, people were saying that might be too big, but now it’s too damn small. Android manufacturers kept pushing the envelope while Steve Jobs refused to offer a larger iPhone. It was probably the biggest advantage for Android, and as of yesterday, that advantage is over. The iPhone 6 sports a 4.7-inch display and the iPhone 6 Plus has a 5.5-inch display.

Android fanboys will also point out that the Android UI offered more features like widgets, replaceable keyboards, the ability to change the launcher, NFC, mobile payments, and so on. These things weren’t all that much of an advantage for Android since most consumers really didn’t care. Those things catered to the power user, which only make up a small amount of the market share. Even if I am wrong, it doesn’t matter anymore because Apple finally opened things up with iOS 8 to include all of those features other than replacing the launcher. This just in…most consumers don’t care about changing the launcher.

Last night, Ron Amadeo posted an image with the title, “Welcome to 2012″ and showed how the iPhone is basically the Nexus 4 from 2012.

He went on to imply that Apple will continue to play catch up with things like IR blasters, multi-user support, selectable default apps, split screen apps, and so on. A very funny image, but I just don’t see any of those features being a big deal to the average Joe. Seriously, if the average person comes up to me and asks why they should buy an Android phone, am I supposed to say they need the IR blaster or split screen apps? Let’s face it, the screen size was probably the biggest factor over the last couple of years, and I don’t see the next version of Android adding anything all that compelling to make up for it. Sure Android L looks nice, but does someone beyond the Android fanatic say, “I have to have that because the iPhone doesn’t?” So what could Android offer in the future that would have the same kind of impact that the screen size did and make people think twice about the iPhone? Well there is Project Ara, which would make smartphones modular, and Project Tango, which brings 3D mapping into play. Unfortunately we don’t know how consumer-ready there are or how popular they will be. They very well could be major game changers, but as of today, we just don’t know. We also don’t know if Apple is working on something similar, but I suspect not.

In looking at both the iPhone and any other Android phone, there is ONLY one reason left as to why the mainstream consumer would go with Android today, and that’s price. You will still find lower cost handsets (on and off contract) from Android manufacturers, so those that want to save a buck can do so. This is why Android One and the likes of the Moto G are so important to Android’s growth. The iPhone won’t be able to compete in developing markets or with those on a tighter budget. If you take money out of the equation, there isn’t much of a reason to go with Android now. In fact, one might argue that the iPhone is actually the better choice since it has a better camera experience and better developer support. The developer support has thinned over the years, but even a little bit more is more right?

Now I know many of you Android faithful are probably yelling, “Just go and buy an iPhone already you damn traitor!” I can say that I have NEVER owned an iPhone nor do I plan on buying one anytime soon. I love Android and the choices that it brings to the table. I am just trying to look at this from a mainstream consumer perspective. The iPhone has played catch up for years, but the biggest factor for the average Joe was the screen size followed by the AT&T carrier exclusivity. They have been eliminated. The simple UI and software features were only a minor issue, but iOS 8 squashes most of them anyway. The gap is very narrow at this point, and Google and the Android OEMs have some work to do to bring it back.

Come comment on this article: Is there a compelling reason to buy an Android smartphone now that the iPhone 6 is upon us?

b4a0dd05a6c25ff35c20aa0382f885af._.gif

News via TalkAndroid

Back