A key iPhone feature is about to fall even further behind Android, and I’m so jealous

• Thread starter Thread starter Zach Epstein
  • Start date Start date
Z

Zach Epstein

bgr-iphone-11-pro-2.jpg
There are so many important areas of the smartphone user experience where Apple's iPhone lineup has always been pretty far ahead of Android. Simplicity is a very underrated but important characteristic of a good smartphone UI, and Apple has a clear advantage there. Another great example that's not quite as subjective is performance, where Apple's iPhone absolutely decimates its Android-powered rivals each and every year. In fact, forget about iPhones and Android phones that are released in the same year, we regularly see brand new Android flagship phones that can't even compete with iPhones that were released two and three years earlier. Apple's A-series chipsets and its iOS software optimizations have no match, and we don't expect to see that change anytime soon.

Of course, there's also a flip side to this coin and there are plenty of areas where the iPhone and iOS in general fall short of Android. Just the other day I was thinking about how ridiculous it is that Apple's iPhone still doesn't support home screen widgets. The Apple Watch helps a bit by providing key info without the need to open any apps or even touch the device, but for me, it's simply not good enough. I want zero-touch access to more information than just the weather and other limited complications that are available on the Apple Watch. And what about people who don't even have an Apple Watch? There's no good reason that iOS still doesn't support first- and third-party widgets, but that's just one of many examples where the iPhone trails Android devices — and I was reminded of another one on Friday morning thanks to a fresh leak.

Continue reading...

BGR Top Deals:

1. Unlocked iPhone 7 refurbs are down to $175 right now, or get an iPhone 8 for $260
  2. True wireless earbuds with 1,000 5-star reviews just dropped to $25

Trending Right Now:

1. Some of the PS5’s biggest surprises were just ruined by a huge leak
  2. Huawei is done with Google for good
  3. Apple beat every single Android brand to become the top phone vendor in the world in Q4

A key iPhone feature is about to fall even further behind Android, and I’m so jealous originally appeared on BGR.com on Fri, 31 Jan 2020 at 10:33:40 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

TvZ4nQyv94c

Via BRG - Boy Genius Report

Back