Bizarrely, the coronavirus has caused a coin shortage in the US

• Thread starter Thread starter Andy Meek
  • Start date Start date
A

Andy Meek

webp.net-resizeimage-3.jpg
  • Here's another byproduct of the coronavirus pandemic that's unfolding right now and which most people might not even be aware of: The US is experiencing a coin shortage.
  • This is partly a result of the US Mint cutting production amid the pandemic, but retailers are also dealing with a shortage of money as a result of dramatic interruptions in the normal flow of consumers buying things and their money changing hands.
  • This is leading retailers around the country to start posting signs encouraging customers to use exact change or banning payments in cash altogether.

When I pulled up to the drive-thru of a donut place near my apartment today, I was greeted by a sign posted on the menu board outside that I haven't seen anywhere else during the coronavirus pandemic yet. It explained to customers that the US, believe it or not, is actually experiencing a coin shortage right now and to please use exact change if you're not making an electronic payment with something like Apple Pay. Wait, what?

It's true. This is yet another bizarre side effect of the ongoing pandemic, and retailers across the country are increasingly presenting their customers with this same message. Part of the reason has to do with the fact that the US Mint cut its production of coins as part of a protective measure for its workers, something I bet most people didn't even consider. But add to that the fact that the normal flow of commerce has been dramatically curtailed -- such that fewer people than ever are, you know, actually buying things in-person which necessitates physical money changing hands -- and you can begin to see why this is starting to be a problem.

Continue reading...

Today's Top Deals

1. 10 deals you don’t want to miss on Sunday: 50¢ face masks, tons of Purell, MacBook Pro blowout, Prime-only deals, more
  2. 10 deals you don’t want to miss on Saturday: Purell in stock, Amazon device sale, $32 headphones, Prime-only deals, more
  3. When every day feels like Monday, call on these delicious drinks to help you through the week

Trending Right Now:

1. Hubble just snapped one of its greatest images ever
  2. This is the good coronavirus news the world needs right now
  3. NASA’s SLS rocket tore open like a tin can

Bizarrely, the coronavirus has caused a coin shortage in the US originally appeared on BGR.com on Sat, 4 Jul 2020 at 19:03:46 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

KG8srqr6nuE

Via BRG - Boy Genius Report

Back