I’m about to start spending more time in Flipboard and less on YouTube – here’s why

• Thread starter Thread starter Andy Meek
  • Start date Start date
A

Andy Meek

Flipboard-TV-1200x750-3profiles.jpg
  • On Thursday, the Flipboard news app is rolling out the latest in a series of big changes that the app has unveiled so far in 2020.
  • The app's video product, Flipboard TV, is now free and ad-supported for all users, and Flipboard also has signed up a ton of new publishers and content creators for it.
  • Other major changes Flipboard has launched already this year include new local news guides, as well as finite packages of content called Storyboards.

2020 has been a banner year for the Flipboard news app, and not just because my fantastic news aggregator turned 10 years old this summer. This has actually been one of the most dynamic periods in the history of the app, which has made a slew of big changes thus far in 2020 -- like a deeper push into local news content, teaming up with publishers around the country to bring the app's users curated packages of content for most of the major cities in the US. Flipboard has also been testing a big UX change (experimenting with a vertical scroll) in addition to launching Storyboards, a new curation product that acts as a kind of complement to the "Magazines" that you can build within the app.

But whereas those magazines are generally compiled on an ongoing basis (I'm following a few streaming video magazines, for example, that add daily batches of new Netflix-related headlines), Storyboards are meant to be finite creations that are perfect for roundups, digests, and lists. And while Flipboard also unveiled a curated video offering earlier this year called Flipboard TV, envisioning it as a paid subscription product, the company on Thursday announced that it will now be a free, ad-supported piece of the overall Flipboard experience. Meaning, video consumption is about to be even more central to your usage of the app -- and Flipboard, accordingly, has signed up a bevy of new publishers and independent creators who will keep the Flipboard TV tab you see within the app packed with content.

Continue reading...

Today's Top Deals

1. Stock up on these 5 things while you can – experts say more grocery hoarding is coming
  2. This is not a drill: Purell pump bottles sold directly by Amazon are in stock if you hurry
  3. Amazon’s AirPods Pro discount just got deeper – and AirPods 2 have never been cheaper

Trending Right Now:

1. China says it found a new virus that’s even more deadly than the coronavirus
  2. Doctor lists 5 places she’s avoiding right now because of coronavirus
  3. Best Buy might have leaked the PS5 and Xbox Series X prices

I’m about to start spending more time in Flipboard and less on YouTube – here’s why originally appeared on BGR.com on Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 10:02:21 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

d7Pr0GPHnFM

Via BRG - Boy Genius Report

Back