I’m completely addicted to this incredible YouTube channel

• Thread starter Thread starter Andy Meek
  • Start date Start date
A

Andy Meek

Screen-Shot-2021-03-04-at-3.18.56-PM.jpg
I've always been gobsmacked by the fascinating degree to which simply colorizing and touching up old photos and historical or newsreel video footage can, as cliche as it sounds, make history come alive again -- with the revitalized images giving you an appreciation of the passage of time that somehow eludes the mere sight of words on a page. Director Peter Jackson did this to powerful effect with his 2018 documentary They Shall Not Grow Old, which relied on archival video footage and state-of-the-art technology to improve grainy video fragments of soldiers from World War I to spark a surprisingly emotional connection between viewers and a little-remembered period of history.

Earlier this week, I discovered a YouTube account that basically does the same thing, and I've been ridiculously hooked on it. The name of the channel is "Nineteenth century videos. Back to life," and some of my favorite clips from it include the colorized and cleaned-up footage of everything from the Titanic to a snowball fight on a random city street (the video of which dates from 1897!). Especially regarding the latter, even though the footage is still in black and white, there's something hypnotic about the improvement that's hard to describe.

Today's Top Deal

41KTOGFHKOL.jpg

Sleek black KN95 masks are back in stock at Amazon after selling out twice!

Price: $14.99
Buy Now

Continue reading...

Today's Top Deals

1. Today’s best deals: $20 Wi-Fi extender, $28 dash cam, $2 black masks, $98 Sony ANC headphones, $10 wireless charger, more
  2. These are the 8 coronavirus essentials everyone should stock up on, according to the CDC
  3. Amazon has incredible $200 Sony noise cancelling headphones on sale for $98

Trending Right Now:

1. Huge leak may have finally revealed Marvel’s first X-Men movie
  2. Warning: Coronavirus case numbers are climbing again in these 15 states
  3. If you still have AT&T TV Now or DirecTV Now, your bill’s about to go up

I’m completely addicted to this incredible YouTube channel originally appeared on BGR.com on Sat, 6 Mar 2021 at 10:33:11 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

lVw2-xcfn4M

Via BRG - Boy Genius Report

Back