Young People And Their Future

ICTCity

Hi all,

I'd like to share my experience and what I'm feeling now.

I live in Switzerland and I'm 20. I'm almost finished with the school and as I ever said, I want to find a job. The school I've done it's an apprenticeship (I know in many countries there's not this kind of school), anyway it's like a stage but it's 4 years long. You have to go to school and work (usually 2 weeks at school and 2 at work).

Finding a job it's not an easy task, it seems like if you haven't a bachelor or master you are almost nobody. This (for me) doesn't make sense...

It's hard to show what you can REALLY do, I know many people who are able to sell themselves also if they're not what they try to appear.

I tought: "ok, I could go to the university", here in Switzerland we have some good places where you can study, but honestly for IT there's not too much. To be honest, there're many possibilities for programmers, but not for system / network administrators.

I found the UNC (university of north Carolina) but it's SOOOOOOOO EXPENSIVE for strangers! It's almost 40'000$ per year!

During these 4 years, I studied for some certification, and I took the exam for Comptia Network + and in the next 4 months I want to take the Certified Ethical Hacker certification.

I know what I can do and where I work they try to convince me to stay with them, but after 4 years I want to change... also outside the Switzerland, but I have to find some company who want to test me and my abilities!

So... why this topic? Well... just to know if you have / had the same problem where you live! Also, if you have any suggestion regarding my future, it will be much appreciated!

Things have changed and the change is not for the better.

You're not the only with the same problem. Jobs are hard to find even with a masters. I know people that have college degrees and are working in restaurants as waiters. It's the way the World economy is. Hopefully some day this will get better.

I think that one of the biggest problem is recommendation. There are many sys / net admins that haven't enough competences, but they keep working!

Hi BSchwarz and ICT City,

for ICT City : Never give up mate! Hold your vision and focus with the right strategy You will be getting there.

BSchwarz is right, I graduated with Bachelor and Master degree. My first few years putting my feet on the right career path is horrendous. I worked in restaurant and green grocer - double job just to pay my bill. Microsoft Certs allowed me to get the right start back in 2008 ( GFC era ).
I do still believe Certs will give You slight advantage.

World is changing, competition is getting tougher. You need to be more creative and resilient to charge forward.

Good Luck

Kerberos said:
Hi BSchwarz and ICT City,

for ICT City : Never give up mate! Hold your vision and focus with the right strategy You will be getting there.

BSchwarz is right, I graduated with Bachelor and Master degree. My first few years putting my feet on the right career path is horrendous. I worked in restaurant and green grocer - double job just to pay my bill. Microsoft Certs allowed me to get the right start back in 2008 ( GFC era ).
I do still believe Certs will give You slight advantage.

World is changing, competition is getting tougher. You need to be more creative and resilient to charge forward.

Good Luck
Hi Kerberos.

Thanks for your reply.

Well after 3 years I can say that things are gone from bad to good. I started as a system engineer and now I'm network engineer. I work for a company that really understand what you can do and help you to improve even more in your job.

I admit, I would like to work in another country, I like where I live, but you know... I'm still young and this could be a good (or bad) experience. Anyway is kindly hard.

I agree with you regarding certs, but I meet certified people almost every day and many of them have just learned the answer from Test king or similar hence they know ANYTHING.

I wish you all the best for you and your future!

ICTCity said:
Hi Kerberos.

Thanks for your reply.

Well after 3 years I can say that things are gone from bad to good. I started as a system engineer and now I'm network engineer. I work for a company that really understand what you can do and help you to improve even more in your job.

I admit, I would like to work in another country, I like where I live, but you know... I'm still young and this could be a good (or bad) experience. Anyway is kindly hard.

I agree with you regarding certs, but I meet certified people almost every day and many of them have just learned the answer from Test king or similar hence they know ANYTHING.

I wish you all the best for you and your future!
Happy for You mate!
Come here to Australia, You will get yourself a good weather and nice people.

Totally agree with certs, I believe Certs and experience should go together. Same here, I failed few tests before I passed my MCITP and I have seen few who did the same tests and I can say they have limited knowledge but they always pass the tests abusing Exam Dump.

WIsh You all the best mate and consider to come here to Australia!

Well actually this could be a good idea. But first of all I should find a job and after that I must obtain all the required permission to work in Australia. Remember that I live in Switzerland (not EU) so all these things are always more complex than usual. But hey, if you hear something let me know ;)

Back