Network Connectivity but no browsing/WS Updating

luckied

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I hope to find assistance. Here's my situation:

I've recently migrated all of my VM's from my ESX/ESXi servers. They all work flawlessly. Now I've installed a new fresh install of 2008 R2 so I can test it out before upgrading (yes, I'm still on 2k03...don't remind me :P) but here's what happens:

Local Ping:
C:\Users\Administrator>ping edge1.technotic.priv
Pinging edge1.technotic.priv [192.168.1.1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 timeping 4.2.2.2
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=55
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=55
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=55
Ping statistics for 4.2.2.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 21ms, Average = 18ms

Check DNS lookup:
C:\Users\Administrator>nslookup
Default Server: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.222.222
> www.microsoft.com
Server: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.222.222
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
Address: 207.46.131.43
Aliases: www.microsoft.com
toggle.www.ms.akadns.net
g.www.ms.akadns.net

> exit
===========
As you can tell from the above, both local and remote connectivity works fine. However, I am still unable to connect to any website (page cannot be displayed) or perform Windows updates. I've disabled the firewall and this VM does not pass through any firewall on it's way out (for the moment).
I work in telecom so I know the in's and out's of this and its driving me crazy! Any thoughts?
If needed, my IP info is as follows:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-13-D8-CB
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
Tunnel adapter isatap.{1C771EAB-FD73-4C84-A5A2-16F5A4007594}:
Lastly, it should also be noted that I am connected to this VM through a remote desktop which works locally as well as over my VPN.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,
My name is Vishal. I don't know if your problem is different from mine. I cannot connect to the internet too when logged in as end user in a new network which I am building at the moment. However, if I run internet explorer as administrator, then I am able to connect to the internet. I did a diagnosis of the problem and it appears that when an end user tries to browse the internet, then the requests are sent to a new server(server X) on port 8081. I haven't configured internet explorer to use a proxy server yet and the application that is supposedly listening on port 8081 on server X is Sun Proxy Admin (which I have no idea what it is). Now this is very ambiguous because I don't know of any application on server X that uses Sun Proxy Admin as a service on server X. Could that be a virus?It is difficult to say because it happens only for end users and not for administrative users and also Trend Micro is installed on the few computers on the network. Server X is not active directory. AD sits on another computer which runs Windows Server 2008 R2.
So far I haven't got any answer to this problem.
But have you run a network packets analyzer to see what is happening when you try to connect to the internet?
I read from Microsoft's support website that it could be something to do with security zones.
Here is the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967941
I don't know if that could help.
Or if your problem has been solved already, then I would really appreciate if you could let me know if it was similar or dissimilar to mine.
Thanks.

Regards,

Vishal

Back