vb6 to .net & speed of operation

• Thread starter Thread starter osman ismail
  • Start date Start date
O

osman ismail

Hello

I have recently used the wizard to convert some vb6 code to vb.net found a few points

a) wizard is not very good - needed a lot of work to get going in .net from vb6 - Anyone got any suggestions for easier conversions?

b) once converted the speed of screen refresh in .net is appalling, any ideas

c) the speed of database connect is also poor, any idea.

Speed issues are in comparison to vb6

thanks

Thats what you get when you let the computer do the work for you. Your best bet is to manually convert the code, or alter the wizard generated output to perform better. Without seeing any code however, were not going to be of any help.

I would seriously discourage anyone from upgrading even the most simple of projects, its far better to just learn and do it yourself.

I used the wizard the first week of having .net, it was simply to see what the before-and-after would be like. As CL and divil stated, you really need to do this manually.

Also keep in mind that there is a compatability class that may not be supported by Microsoft (in the future).

I did use adjust all the converted code - had to to get it to work at all!

Still speed is an issue has anyone any comparisons just read time 1000 records using .net - same thing vb6 - same access eg ado .net or ado

any info welcome

thanks

Back