MSDE: Combining with Setup.msi??

gs_london

Hi there,
I have trawled the MSDN site and this forum for answers but its a bit sketchy.

I would like to know how to succesfully incorporate the MSDE into my new applications Blue screen setup.

I have read the Microsoft pages related and most of it makes sense. I downloaded the SDK. Installed ORCA and began playing with a copy of myProgramme.msi

Starting to add the .msms at item 1 it threw up many errors and warnings.

I know that once you merge the MSMs you need to
configure the default settings for MSDE installation (SA account etc).

Is there anyone who has done this?
If so can you reply with explaining:-

[1] how you solved the conflicts in ORCA when adding msms.

[2] What msms are needed and any that can be not included

[3] When the msi image is complete, what and where do u configure the ini strings for the MSDE install (SA account,password)

[4] Anything else a relatively newcomer needs to know about in this area.

I have been programming for more than 6 years but this environment is not only new to me but very confusing and pretty un explained.

Thanks in advance
gs

A possible solution

I managed to find a Power Point presentation of a webcast that Microsoft made detailing exactly what I need to do.
(Result)

Just for the record the link to the .ppt (WC052903.ppt)

can be found on the page:-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;817788

If for any reason microsoft move or this page cannot be found email me through the forum and ill mail the ppt back.

gs

C++ Failing

Update:
The instructions from the powerpoint are pretty easy to follow and obtaining ORCA was quite straight forward.
Unfortunately, following on with the SA password dilemma, they suggest you produce a .dll that gets called from within the .msi during setup and creates the necessary password to continue. Unfortunately I have zero experience with C++ and cannot make this bit work.

If anyone can assist in creating a .dll that will work with ORCA/MSI in VB or can help with producing the C++ version (I have the source code) Id be more than greatful and also will post a summary of how to do this task for others.

Thanks in advance
gs

The Final

carrying on the theme of posting and replying to myself I have completed the combining of MSDE with my Application. Also have sussed out the SA password and managed to find code to switch the service on if its switched off and how to attach .mdf and .ldf files so my app has a working database.

So if anyone down the line needs this info save yourself about a week of trawling microsofts pretty uselessly organised Knowledge base and email me and I will have you up and running in about an hour. :D
regards
gs

Thats great that you found the solution. :)

Can you post the steps you took in accomplishing this task, Im quite sure it would be helpful to others. (We may even put it in the Turors Corner)

Thanks.

Back