J# Help needed

pano

Hi,
Im pretty new to the J# environment. Would anyone know how to check if a numeric has been entered into a textbox?
I know in vb theres a command called IsNumeric. but theres nothing of the sort in J#.
Any help is welcome.

Typically you have to write your own function for this. The function is normally written with a Try/Catch that attempts the conversion. If it converts, the function returns true. If it doesnt, it returns false.

Depending on the type of numeric you want to return true (whole numbers only, floats, "$" and "," chars), youll have to pick the right conversion function.

-nerseus

Nerseus said:
Typically you have to write your own function for this. The function is normally written with a Try/Catch that attempts the conversion. If it converts, the function returns true. If it doesnt, it returns false.

Depending on the type of numeric you want to return true (whole numbers only, floats, "$" and "," chars), youll have to pick the right conversion function.

-nerseus
Thanks for the response. Any idea how you do this? like a small sample of some sort to get me going. Appreciate it if you could.

Cheers

OK, I have a little demo here:
Code:
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]try[/COLOR]
{
  i = System.Int32.Parse(text, System.Globalization.NumberStyles.Currency);
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]  // Parse the text according to currency standards.
  // If it cannot be parsed, an exception is thrown.
  // Going to the catch block. [/COLOR] 
  MessageBox.Show("Conversion succeeded." + System.Convert.ToString(i));
} 
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]catch[/COLOR] (System.Exception ex) 
{
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]// If text cannot be parsed.[/COLOR]
  MessageBox.Show("Conversion failed.");
  MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString());
};
You can use your value types .Parse method to convert the text into a number and specify currency formatting or whatever format you may want. Of course, text is the text that you have gotten from the textbox, and I used an Integer... you can use floating point numbers as well.

buddy you saved me a lot of headache. Really appreciate the help. it works like a charm... :)
thanks a lot

Back