"Best" version of Linux

ThePentiumGuy

Hey,
Im thinking of setting up a LAMP (Linux Apache mySql Php) server.

Im just wondering what distro you guys feel is better... Ive done my research and found this info:

Stuff Im NOT looking at:
Slackware - The "C++" of all linux Distros... the most powerful - yet the hardest (meh.. yeah Assembly is the hardest actually ;)). Ill try to stay away from this one.
-----
Stuff Im looking at:
Mandrake- Nice and simple to set up and use...etc. I heard Mandrake was VERY buggy and instable.
Debian - A lot harder to set up, a very good balance of both power and simplicity. Stable
SuSe - Meh.. you gotta love the Live Eval (boot Linux straight off the CD), but now they released 9.1 and its a free version as opposed to an Eval. This seems the easiest - but I heard it lacks in features... Great Tech support.
Fedora Core - AKA Red Hat 9. I saw some screenshots, and this and Mandrake seem to be the "Easy to Use" stuff. Im not sure if this lacks in features. Stable.
------
Stuff Im not sure about and I probably want to avoid:
Gentoo - Confusing to set up? Drivers and stuff to set up = pain? Not sure.
<I cant think of any more o_O>

Right now I seem to like Mandrake, SuSe and Fedora Core.... Im not sure too much SuSe but I know mandrake is buggy. Fedora Core might be the best...

Can anyone please give personal recommendations? Im completely new to linux but Im a fast learner.

-The Pentium Guy

I would suggest running the Knoppix distribution first to see if you really want to run Linux after using Windows for a long time. Knoppix is a special distribution that runs of a bootable cd and doesnt require any kind of installation, and may prove to be a great way to see what Linux is all about.

Yes... I approve mutant.

If you want to have a linux platform.... I suggest Mandrake or RedHat for starter. But if you know a little bit... and that Performance and stability is a must then... I suggest Slackware (which is one of the best version but require higher skills).

But as mutant said... make sure you feel comfortable before trying to install a complete distribution.

Once installed, make sure your kernel is up to date and that all FTP, HTTP program are up to date also. Im sure you dont want to be hacked. ;)

So far... have fun !

Thanks,

I tried SuSe Live Eval :-D, one of my friends had it and he burnt it for me (hes the kid who got me into linux lol, he uses debian but hes advanced ;)). The SuSe Live Eval is pretty much the same thing like you said about Knoppix - boots right off of a CD and requires no installation :).

So far I think its pretty good, the more I use it obviously the more ill know about it. I have 2 options: IIS or Linux... 99% im going with Linux, if anything fails (e.g. my PC doesnt have enough memory...etc which is impossible for linux ;)), then ill use IIS on my good pc.

Once installed, make sure your kernel is up to date and that all FTP, HTTP program are up to date also. Im sure you dont want to be hacked. [Broken External Image]:http://www.computerhelp.forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
Getting hacked on linux? o_O I thought this was secure ;).

Oh - uhh I got a question......
I dont exactly have an ethernet cord on my old Pc... however it does have a few USB ports - will it be able to recognize my wireless adapter? Its the Microsoft MN-250 or 350 (something along those lines).... hmm a Microsoft adapter on a Linux PC, I hope this works :).

-The Pentium Guy

My first Linux was Mandrake and I hated it. It "babied" me so much that I didnt know how to properly use Linux to its full potential. When I switched to Debian I had to do more things manually, but now I know how to set up a linux distro properly. I would recommend Debian if youre up for some learning.

As far as driver compatability goes, the only thing you need to worry about is ATI; their drivers barely work on Windows, nevermind Linux. The other stuff should work like a charm. For optimizations sake youll want to compile yourself a custom kernel without a lot of the features you dont need (and believe me, there are a lot of them). It sounds scary, but there are some straightforward guides out there, and its actually pretty simple.

Well I am up for learning... hmm what if i choose not to use Graphical mandrake and choose to use the command line prompt instead?

Is all the command line stuff the same no matter what distro you have? Thats what im confused out - isnt Linux the same - just the graphics/interface are different (ex: diff versions of KDE or Gnome)?

eg. - in Red Hat linux, the command to Print a file is "lpr", while Solaris can use lp or lpr
(although Solaris is a varient of Unix, Linux also has alot to do with Unix)

stuff like the awk command, vi editor, and diffrent shells should be the same. i think. :D

then again, its been a while since iv booten linux. :-\

Hmm - man :p... Kind of a tough decision here.
I think that Im going with Debian (sombody please tell me theres KDE included... :s, anyways i can download it with apt-get install KDE).

Use Gnome instead, its much better (in my opinion, at least). Youll also need to install an X server, either XFree86 or X.org - XFree86 is the easiest to install since you just need to do apt-get install x-window-system. X.org requires from-source compilation (as do most things, if you want the latest versions).

Im going to first try out SuSe personal (my friend already has it and burnt :-D, and its not a live eval).

Ill mess around with that first - and then get a bit confortable with Linux, then install Debian + LAMP.

Thanks

Crap! SuSe sucks!!
It hides everything from you.. and like you said Volteface it "Babies" you....

The stupid installer didnt even install gcc or even the make command!! (and i chose Install All).. Jeez...

Man, Im not making that mistake again!!
Im downloading all 7 cds of debian ;). Should be done by tomorow.

-The Pentium Guy

Why are you downloading all 7 CDs? Download the base install, and then the install program will download only the packages you want. Believe me, you do not need or want everything!

Hey, I heard that getting the single CD doesnt come with KDE.

Yes, i can use apt-get KDE, but I dont have an ethernet adapter, and im forced to use Wireless... and setting up wireless on Linux = ><. Im looking into Wlan-Linux..

or I might order http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-180-004&depa=0 and get it over with.. its only $3.50

So - without Internet, I cant get KDE - and my dad wants to use the linux box for some reason as well (hell get confused if I dont put KDE or Gnome or whatever).

Besides, Im in no rush - and we have like 500 cds at home (you gotta love those mail n rebates where they give u a box of 100 cds for free). Im also installing this on a 40 gb hard drive (not that its necessary, but its the only other comp I have lol)

-The Pentium Guy

Youre probably not going to learn much about Linux until youve used it for awhile, just like any operating system or tool.

Id suggest going with one, all the way, use it for awhile - at least a week. Then maybe youll come up with a list of things you like or dont like - something you can compare when reading up on each distro of linux.

Since there are so many variations, its going to be hard to find one you like just by what you read.

-ner

UNIX?? :-P! I never even thought about that :). Im gonna stick with linux and learn it like Nerseus says.. and then i *might* give Unix a try...

Woot! I ordered the ethernet card... NewEgg is the best, I saved almost 75% :).

I burnt all the debian cds and im waiting for the adapter and then give it a try :p

-pent

i use Linux RedHat 9 for my server...
Only problems i find are the ones i create :P

Back