Renaming your start button

ThePentiumGuy

Heheh. This is so leet. First check out the screenshot. "stop!" instead of "start."

Im doing this just for fun anyways (you might wonder whats the point :)).
Get a hex editor, I used hex workshop (these instructions are for hex workshop anyways). Run it, open explorer.exe (windows folder). First of all, hit Save As... Explorer2.exe (just for the sake of having a backup).

Now, this parts a little tricky. If youre new to hex editing, then dont worry. See the numbers to the left side? Those represent your offsets. The text for "start" should lie in between the following offsets:

<LI>Windows 98
Offset: 0x00028D6E - 0x00028D76 <LI>Windows NT4
Offset: 0x00028BEE - 0x00028BF6 <LI>Windows ME
Offset: 0x00033DDE - 0x00033DE6 <LI>Windows 2000
Offset: 0x0003860E - 0x00038616 <LI>Windows XP (Enhanced Start Menu)
Offset: 0x000412B6 - 0x000412BE <LI>Windows XP (Classic Start Menu)
Offset: 0x0004158A - 0x00041592 <LI>Windows XP SP1 (Enhanced Start Menu)
Offset: 0x0004208E - 0x00042096 <LI>Windows XP SP1 (Classic Start Menu)
Offset: 0x0004259A - 0x000425A2 <Taken from http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1847.aspx>

Hit control + g and type in the first offset number (you dont need the 0x). And look around for a word called start (it should be written as "s.t.a.r.t"), it should be nearby.

However that method didnt work for me. On my computer (XP Home, Sp2), "start" lied before this text:
There was an internal error and one of the windows you were using has been closed.".

So hit control + F,
Find what:
Type: Text String
Find What: There was an

Options:
Either

Now it should take you to that error. And just before it you should see:

. .h.i.d.d.e.n. .i.c.o.n.s.............s.t.a.r.t.R.T.h.e.r.e. .w.a.s. .a.n. .i.n.t.e.r.n.a.l. .e.r.r.o.r. .a.n.d. .o.n.e. .o.f. .t.h.e. .w.i.n.d.o.w.s. .y.o.u. .w.e.r.e. .u.s.i.n.g. .h.a.s. .b.e.e.n

Now, replace the letters (replace, you cant have more and you cant have less than 5 characters) s.t.a.r.t. with (this is what I did) s.t.o.p.!.

Now hit save (making sure youre saving to Explorer2.exe, windows folder)

------------
If you still cant find "start", hit control + F and find the string "start", making sure its case sensitive (beucase there are a lot of "Start"s). Youll have to scroll through a list of 20 starts (you have to hit F3 to go to the next string). However these "Fake" starts will be something like.
"Starting task... <something>"....etc

So just look for the word start hanging around on its own.
-------------

Now, we need to test if this works.
Close all programs.
Control + Alt + Delete
Right click Explorer.Exe, End Process Tree
File, New Task | Run. "Explorer2.exe"

If you see the word "stop!" (or whatever you used) then it works. If you ever want to revert back, End Process Tree explorer2.exe and start explorer.exe. So its not a permanent change youre making if you do it this way.

Now, if youre sure that it works (click the start menu...etc making sure that there are no bugs), and you want this to be default, then:

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1847.aspx\ open up regedit [i said:
(Start | run | Regedit)[/i], you are looking for this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

search for the value named Shell and make it equal to explorer1.exe.
And, (yay) youve renamed your start button, permanently (You can rename it whenever you want).
This article was based off of:
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1847.aspx

-The Pentium Guy

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that a total of 0 (zero) people found this interesting/useful. Go figure ;).

Edit: This works on home edition. I havent tested it on pro yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
ThePentiumGuy said:
It seems that a total of 0 (zero) people found this interesting/useful. Go figure ;).

ROTFL!!! Well m8, at least you made me laugh like a mad!!!

There was a time I use to hack "Saved games" with my hex editor back on early 90s on my Amiga 1200. It was just to bloody funny to rename the space stations names on Frontier (Elite II) and dock on my local streets names...

But you know, I might have some fun to do that with windows start button and other other things in windows ;)

Its amazing what you can do with the registry, hex editors, and stuff like that.
I found a hack to rename the recycle bin, and rename the title bar of internet explorer (Mine is "Internet exploder provided by Macrohard Doors").

-TPG

Hehe, I know where to find my stuff in a snap. That pic is an old view, my desktop is MUCH worse now. ;)

[edit]I changed my mouse as well since it also was boring me. :) [/edit]

Well, I clean out my desktop every like 3 months or so. And I gotta admit, EVERY SPACE is filled before I clean it out. So yeah. I was being a hypocrite earlier :p. My code is messy for gods sake (See other thread in random thoughs). Im a disorganized person but .... if i take the time to organize stuff..... then......................................................

it will be come disorganized soon anyways ;).
But currently its organized. .... I just threw everything into a folder called Junk adn put it in my docs.

-TPG

Try www.themexp.org to change:
-Windows styling
-Boot up screen (ex: Change "Windows XP Professional Edition... <loading>" to "Windwos XP Pirated Edition")
-Login screen
-.. and more

youll need a program like StyleXP to apply the changes. It changes everything natively so you dont have to worry about overuse of memory (in fact my system performacne hasnt been affected at all).

-TPG

Back