Mcad /mcsd

Jay1b

I am trying to convince my company to send me on one of these course. Obviously i want the MCSD, but i dont think they will stretch to that :(

Looking at the 70-306 exam below

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-306.asp

It suggests the following courses......

Course 2389: Programming with Microsoft ADO .NET
Course 2565: Developing .NET Windows Applications (Microsoft Visual Basic .NET)

Do i need to complete both these course before sitting the exam? I have been told not, but i cant see how you could the pass the exam, as they cover slightly different topics.

Thanks.

I would ask why you want the class - to pass the test or to learn the selected topics? If I were the boss and asked to shell out some money to train my people, Id want to make sure they want to learn the topic (and of course that it will help them at their current job), not just pass a test.

If you want to learn the topics, Id investigate the classes from that perspective as there may be others that cover more and/or cost less.

-ner

Primarily I want to learn the topic in more depth.

So do you need both courses before sitting the exam? Or do you just have to answer x number of questions on the exam - that reflect the courses taken?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The exam just relies on you getting enough questions correct - if you were comfortable and experienced with .Net then you could pass the exam without ever having sat on a training course at all.
I would second Nerseus on this one and treat a class as a way to further your knowledge of the topic rather than as a means to pass an exam, a well delivered course should be able to fill in the blank areas outside of the printed manual and give you the chance to play with the language in a safe environment (no critical code to break, no legacy code to understand, no deadlines looming as you are trying to get to grips with things) and also expose you to related tools / tricks and ideas.

Back