Opinions on Progress for a vb/vb.net developer

Denaes

I sent my resume to a company looking for VB (didnt say if they wanted 6 or .net) and Progress developers.

I got a callback and they want me to come in for an interview for Progress. They had to explain to me what it was - as far as programming languages come I havnt really heard about it except in passing.

Now they say its similar to VB and is a language geared towards databases for the PC.

I found some docs on it, but I couldnt play around - the only IDE I found looked like the Microsoft of this language. You had to purchase a suite and support.

Then again my Google Fu seems to be hampered by a name like "Progress"

Anyone have any insights?

Google for: "Progress 4GL" in quotes - you should find some info about it.

And yes - its a completely custom programming language, and the IDE etc for it costs thousands.

So, getting experience in it is bloody hard!

B

Last edited by a moderator:
I work with Ingres + Openroad, which is something incredibly similar.

There are good points and bad points associated with working for software such as this.

Bad Point - Search a job search engine for companies advertising for these skills. There will be very few, making finding another position difficult.

Good Point - If you do find another job requiring these skills, then there wont be much (if any) competition for the job, giving you a huge advantage, this may help you command a high wage.

Thank you for the advice.

I also see it as with me wanting to be a programming for a career, so X years programming some random language will be better than X years on a help desk answering phones.

The interview went well and they even suggested they might like to use VB.net for some future projects.

Back