Anti-Mono Sentiments

Denaes

I told someone on some non-programming boards that I was doing a character generator (creates a character for a role playing game) in .Net primarily for the PC, but I wanted to make sure I keept it platform neutral because I would love to see how it worked on OSX. By platform neutral I mean I used XML for data storage rather than MS Access.

They lamblasted me for being anti-OSX. I was so confused. Then they told me if I really wanted to create something cross platform Id do it in Java. This confused the hell out of me because for the most part, something done for the PC wont work on OSX. This would.

Then they went off on how none of them had the Mono Framework and I was discriminating against them. Then about how they or their friends would never put Mono on their computers and asked why I was being anti-OSX.

I let them know that despite what they chose to do, it would be available and hopefully would work perfectly on OSX. If they chose not to use it or the technology they didnt have to.

It went around in circles a bit more where I ended up being a totally heartless ***** because it came down to the fact that I wasnt interesting in learning a new programming language for my project (even though I did say if anyone knew Java I would assist their conversion or seperate construction of the Application) and how Mono wasnt an option for OSX.

The funny thing is that these people arnt anti-.Net. Theyll talk up the benefits of .Net development like only a PC user could. Odd.

They also kept saying that Mono wasnt production software - though I know companies that use it for business applications and its past v1.0.

I know its not 100% of the .Net framework 1.1, but the way I see it, that only matters if you want it to do something that isnt implimented yet. It probobly does every basic function Id need.

Its really more of a matter of java vs .NET. Most people fail to realize that Java and .NET are more alike, as far as running their applications on different platforms. Without the JRE, Java apps will not run. Without a CLR, .NET apps will not run. I see no difference between either. Just because there is a JRE for the many different platforms doesnt mean that there wont be a CLR for the others. Java has had more time to develop their JREs for the seperate platforms and Im sure that the CLRs will begin to be created for the different systems.

Theyre stupid for being so stubborn against installing mono.

I really, really hope that youre right and that more cross platform frameworks come up, Id really like to see mac users using my programs, etc.

With all the projects current project going on they will have nothing to worry about. The project I am talking about convert IL to Java Byte Code so it can run under the JVM. There is is also a project to do the opposite.

Shazbots said:
With all the projects current project going on they will have nothing to worry about. The project I am talking about convert IL to Java Byte Code so it can run under the JVM. There is is also a project to do the opposite.

I know this exists already. Some company charges 10,000 either per conversion or per liscense of the software. You build it in .Net and IL -> JBC.

I would be VERY interested in a more freeware version :p

Edit: iNet converts .Net to Java, though has price restrictions which are confusing: (rounded numbers) 1k to convert .net to Linux, 10k to convert .Net to Unix and 20k to convert .net to Mainframe.

I thought if you were really converting it to Java, its java and it would run on all the JVMs (minus come OS specific things like databases possibly)

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt any will be open source / free-ware for at least a few years considering the work that has gone into the paid versions.

Shazbots said:
I doubt any will be open source / free-ware for at least a few years considering the work that has gone into the paid versions.

Ironically I found plenty of Java to IL/C# converters - Microsoft Even has one and a J# compiler that compiles Java to IL.

Not being dismissive of Java but .Net (well IL really) has some constructs that are now provided directly by Java. Delegates and the whole .Net event model for one and also things you probably take for granted like Properties and Enums.
The hard work will be in taking these things and generating the correct Java byte-code to mimic the correct behaviours.
However going the other way is a lot easier as Im not aware of any features of the Java VM that could not be done in .Net.

Back