NYC Wages.

Jay1b

A friend and I are considering moving to New York (from England), her brother lives over there anyway. She works as an accountant and has already had a job offer, which seems far to much for her level of experience. I was just really wondering what the the job market is currently like in NY for a .Net programmer with 2 yrs experience - and also what sort of salary i could expect.

So if anyone lives in/near NY or a nearby city, would you mind please giving me a few pointers?

Thanks

This doesnt answer your question, but it IS a good pointer, and you asked for pointers, so... Dont live in New York. Try to find someplace to live in New Jersey, or anywhere not in the city for that matter. Its very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, expensive to live in the city.

Youd probably struggle to find a job too, the market is better than 2 years ago, but still tough.

Unless you have something lined up, youre taking a big risk...

As thenerd said, NJ is the place to live, you can take a 30 minute train into the city. The job market in NYC for .NET is actually very good right now but they all want 5 to 7 years experience. The rates are between $50 to $80 per hour or 70k to 120k per year, but as I said these are for senior level positions.

btw, you cannot live in NYC alone if your earn less than 100k/yr.

Thanks guys.

I was thinking about holding off for a couple of years anyway, i think i will definately have too now! :)

Might look at another part of the US then, when the time comes...

Back