Microsoft vs. Anyone Else

bri189a

I know Im going to start a flame war unitentially but Im looking for some info that I cant seem to filter out from the junk on Google.

What are some major products that are written in .NET or prior Micorosoft languages (I know C++ isnt a Microsoft language, but MFC is).

I know Symantec is a Microsoft Gold Partner so I imagine anti-virus was written in C++ but if someone knew, and had white paper to prove it was written C++ (MFC) or even better C++.NET or event better C#.NET that would be awesome...basically Im looking for any major product that anyone will probably of heard of that was written in a Microsoft language, preferably .NET but not necessarly.

Im also looking for major corporations that use Microsoft servers, or dropped UNIX servers for Microsoft... and why they did... I thought that kind of thing would of been easy to find on Microsoft, but couldnt find anything worded the way I need it.

Basically I believe every OS out there has its place, but what I cant stand is people who hate Microsoft for no other reason than they had a bad experiance with it and want to fit a square peg in a round hole because of it, so I need some fire power. Im a huge Microsoft advicate, but I wont condemn Unix just because its not Microsoft.

I will answer your questions, you can find information on companies using Microsoft products and their cases at Microsofts Case Studies
yeah its a Microsoft s page, but you can find tons of information, now youll get a case from me.
I currently work at BP , we merged with several big companies around the world in the last 5 years (Castrol, Mobil, Arco, Amoco, Aral, TNK Russia and several more), those companies had their own applications based on Unix, Lotus, Linux, etc. It was a major movement, but currently weve 95% of all employees and contractors moved to Exchange Server, 100% of all users using Windows Servers and Windows Desktop OS, 100% of all user are with Office System 2003, 85% of all databases were moved to SQL Server 2000, still working on some Oracle databases and so on, why we did this?, the answer is, TCO cheaper, Help Desk Support faster and more reliable, Development is faster, we dont need to give specialized training to users.
We still have and will have Unix Systems, but this is because the specialized applications we have and they only exist for Unix.
BP is one of the companies that I can say 85 to 90% of the platform is Microsoft.

I think Half-Life 1 (or one of those FPS games that I dont play) was ported over to .Net and released as open source. Im not sure if it was just for fun or as an experiment for future projects.

A while ago I watched a video on microsoft.com (I think this is it, but I dont have time to watch). It was one of Microsofts "shows." A game (perhaps Half-Life, but Im not sure), which was written for unmanaged C++, was compiled as managed code. Note that this required no code changes at all and the end product did not use garbage collection and certain other managed features, just MSIL, i.e. managed code. The managed code version ran at 50 fps vs. 60 fps native code, but you also need to take into consideration that the code was optimized for a native code compiler and not an MSIL compiler.

Also, the ATI Catalyst software requires the .Net Framework.

Back