MSDN Subscribers, Speak up!

thenerd

Alright, Im SURE there are lots of MSDN subscribers here. (For those who dont know, Windows Vista (Longhorn) beta just came out for MSDN subscribers, along with IE7 beta. ). Lets hear about IE7 and Vista. Are they good? Are they fun? Is IE7 useful? How do they look? Does vista have too much eye-candy? Can you easily change the amount of eye-candy it has? Any cool features in Vista you want to share? How about in IE7?

Im sure everyone here is dying to hear about this stuff.

IE7:
All I can say is that I truly hope IE7 stops sucking big time like its predecessors... If I would recieve one buck for each time IE crashes, I would definately be a healthy fellow... I wonder why Mozilla or FireFox browsers crash (at least for me) only one time for every 3 months!? And I browse the web alot!

Longhorn:
All I saw about longhorn was some screenshot of the desktop. And the icons were too "stylie" for my taste.. Win Xp icons are my favorite...

However, I definately looking forward to get my hands on Vista, but not the beta version, the final one...

Last edited by a moderator:
Longhorn in some form has been available for the last 4 months Ive had MSDN.

Im sure its buggy as hell and I only have one PC, which is my production PC. So I havnt had a chance to install it.

I really dont have much interest in IE7. Firefox is a superior browswer and at best all I see is MS copying some of the great features of firefox which would then put it in the category of "not sucking too bad".

Honestly one of the help documentation browsers that Microsoft had even allowed tabbed browsing. Of course the theory was tabbed help documents, but you could surf the web with it.

Ill look into installing IE7 this weekend, but I have pretty low expectations for it.

I heard a rumor that IE 7 would be the closest yet that microsoft has come to implimenting the W3C CSS/XHTML Standards. I hope that wasnt just a nasty rumor...

EFileTahi-A said:
IE7:
All I can say is that I truly hope IE7 stops sucking big time like its predecessors... If I would recieve one buck for each time IE crashes, I would definately be a healthy fellow... I wonder why Mozilla or FireFox browsers crash (at least for me) only one time for every 3 months!? And I browse the web alot!
Why is it IE never crashes on me? I keep hearing these stories about how bad IE is and how it crashes all the time but I never have problems with it and I use it almost as much as Im awake. :D :cool:

I have FF installed on my Mandrake box and I dont feel its any better than IE, just different.

IE only ever seems to crash for Firefox advocates.

Most of whats said about Firefox is terribly bloated. I hate it when people praise Firefox as being the best and only good browser availible, especially when there are plenty of far better browsers than Firefox (Best: Maxthon).

From what Ive seen and heard, IE7 looks fantastic. It has tabbed browsing, and Im sure they fixed the security issues. With those two things fixed, IE becomes a good browser again.

Machaira said:
Why is it IE never crashes on me? I keep hearing these stories about how bad IE is and how it crashes all the time but I never have problems with it and I use it almost as much as Im awake. :D :cool:

I have FF installed on my Mandrake box and I dont feel its any better than IE, just different.

I agree, I never have any problems with it. I think it has more to do with users trying to install every plug in ever invented.

I havent had a chance to play with it yet, but I have to agree that I dont have many problems with IE 6... As far as tabbed browsing goes, I like the way it currently works in XP when you have the taskbar grouping turned on. Its the benefit of Tabbed browsing when you need it.

If they can move it into an MDI type form and keep my Alt-Tab to each browser page while tabbing between programs at the same time I would accept that as well.

I think Ill start the download tonight, and try to get it installed on one of my machines I just replaced.

wayneph said:
If they can move it into an MDI type form and keep my Alt-Tab to each browser page while tabbing between programs at the same time I would accept that as well.

I would imagine they would do it the same way tabs are handled in FireFox and Visual Studio -- CTRL-Tab to move between the tabs and Alt-Tab still moves you between programs (which I think is native to the operating system). I guess youll have to let us know how it goes.

mskeel said:
I would imagine they would do it the same way tabs are handled in FireFox and Visual Studio -- CTRL-Tab to move between the tabs and Alt-Tab still moves you between programs (which I think is native to the operating system).

Learn something new every day. Firefox and Visual Studio just got a little nicer :D

Back