Algorithms in VB.NET

PROKA

Do you have any articles or books on how to implement algorithms in vb.net ?

Everybody speaks of Greedy, backtracking and I have no Ideea of how to use them

Algorithms have been depreciated in vb.net. You can only use them through the Microsoft.visualbasic.compatibility.algorithm namespace.

Please tell me nobody took that seriously..

Anyway, I dont really understand your question. An algorithm is just the way that you accomplish something. Algorithms arent even (at least, dont have to be) shown as code.

Im a bit confused - wasnt your question asking for an article or book, and didnt you just provide a link to a book? Or did you mean to JUST ask for articles similar to that book (but free)?

-nerseus

A book on algorithms is like asking of a book on inovation with vb.net. Granted an algorithm as stated earlier is steps to a solution etc.. This is virutally any program with input/output characteristics that mostly but not always have a changing variable. This is not set in stone of course.

1. Cannot find any books related to Algorithms in .NET in local stores
2. Cannot order from the internet (dont own a credit card and I dont think they would send it to my country)
3. Im interested in general techniques ( greedy,backtracking,permutations,sortings etc ) and in problems to implement those algorithms

so if you know any articles or some free e-books ... please post

thenerd said:
Thats because an algorithm can be shown in ANY programming language. So theres no need for a specific .NET algorithm book.

Indeed. Algorithm is in essense innovation. Use your mind your not stupid. Think hard think twice and you will eventually think wise :D Thats a saying I live by anyway. Besides Algorithms are not just for code, I like to apply them to everyday living like whats your procedure to get yourself ready for work? Translate that into code (yes geeky but true) and there you have it. Id search the internet for a description of those specific ideas your looking for and maybe youll get some example code of how it might be implemented. Books on algys are usually just brain sparks that get your mind rolling. Unlike "Learn Hardcode in 24 hours :rolleyes: " that gives you straight out syntax basically code these books are more for brainstorming etc..

A simple Google search should do the trick for you. Skimming the top 5 hits I see what looks like an e-book, two sets of notes from two different Computer Science classes and a tutorial on backtracking algorithms. Granted, you are going to have to learn how to read psuedo code, but that is a skill you should have anyway -- VB is practically reading sentances anyway. The best way to procede would be to take the general algorithms and work them into VB.Net yourself. Of course if yourre willing to shell out some money, Im sure you can buy a specific book...

"Algorithms in VB.Net" doesnt really make sense -- as neodammer said, algoriths are, in essence, innovation. You can take just about any algorithm and put it into any language you want. The "Hello World" algorithm should prove that, but for something a little more heavy weight, how about an algorithm for sorting a list...quick sort is implimented in every laugnage with a list data structure? Cool.

Obviously there are a few exceptions. Backtracking, for example, is free in Prolog, but needs to be written explicity in just about every other language. Pi calculation algorithms may be more difficult in Java than they would be in Fortran...as fortran (as I recall, its been a while) has infinite precision floating point values for free. Anyway, I think you get the point.

Back