restricting network connections?

kyzen

Im writing what I had imagined to be a really simple program for my parents to use to manage my brothers internet usage. The idea was that they could use this tool instead of constantly calling me to walk them through doing stuff.

There is a client application, installed on the families computers, and a master application, running on my dads laptop and a computer in my apartment. The master app sends commands to the clients, and they perform the specified action.

Ive gotten that part working fine - they can send and receive messages perfectly. The next step is to make the client do what it needs to do. This is where Im stuck. I need to do all of the following things:

1 - Disable the network connections entirely
2 - Disable the ability to browse the web
3 - Disable the ability to connect to any outside IPs at all (both web and games)
4 - Disable the ability for anything besides a web browser to connect to any IPs (if this isnt possible, thats fine, it would just be a nifty feature)
5 - Restore all connections to normal

Currently this is written in VB.NET. Any help on any one of these items would be amazingly appreciated. All machines using the client program will be running XP.

Back