Visual Studio 2005 launch

Nate Bross said:
I dont know, but you probably have to buy a ticket to attend the event, which most likely has the price included.
Nope, its free. I cant help thinking I must be missing something.

Well, I noticed the San Francisco and Anaheim events are already closed. The only other one Id be interested in attending would be the January 11 launch event in Washington DC, which is still open.

VagabondSW said:
Well, I noticed the San Francisco and Anaheim events are already closed. The only other one Id be interested in attending would be the January 11 launch event in Washington DC, which is still open.
I live in London and am going to that one on 15th Nov. Microsoft tell me they are giving away the free software at that too. If they dont it could even be worth flying to Washington just for the software. Crazy.

rbulph said:
Nope, its free. I cant help thinking I must be missing something.

Nope, I thought so too but after an annoyingly long time I managed to get answers out of MS. You get a full copy of Standard VS 2005 and Standard SQL. SQL comes with one CAL (apparently Client Access License). Just thought you might prefer not having to deal with microsoft. I know I was surprised at how hard it was to get answers out of them, especially since it is a major promotion.

It would appear the Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition will retail for less than $50.

The features in the professional editions are a bit disappointing. In order to get the development and test operating systesms, you have to buy the VS2005 w/ MSDN Professional Subscription for an MSRP of $1200. Thats also your only choice if you want the Microsoft Office tools AND mobile or 64-bit support.

However, in order to get the development and test servers, you have to get VS2005 w/ MSDN Premium subscription for an MSRP of $2500.

All I really care about are Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2005. I can get SQL Server Developer Edition in all versions, so thats covered. Does Windows Server 2003 come with the development and test operating systems or servers?

By the way, knowing what we know now, the software being given away at the launch events is freely available for download to MSDN subscribers and certainly not worth the price of a plane ticket.

OK, that makes a bit more sense now. Still worth going, since Im not an MSDN subscriber, but, yes, not worth crossing the Atlantic for.

I have to say that from Microsofts website, I have little understanding of what you can do with the Professional edition that you cant do with the Standard one. Maybe thats an indication that I dont need it! Microsoft Office tools? Presumably thats something more than the automation of Microsoft office programs that you can do with Visual Basic 6.0 since I see you can do this in VB .net Express anyway. But I cant see any explanation of what it actually is.

VagabondSW said:
It would appear the Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition will retail for less than $50.
I feel the need to point out the fine print.
CostCentral.com said:
This product can only be sold to College Students, Educational Institutions, Administrative Offices & Boards of Education, Public Libraries, and Public Museums.
Looks like Im out of luck; I pay full price.

Those who attended Birmingham UK could leave with the standard version, or a voucher to get professional sent through the post - they just didnt have any stock yet. London should be the same, 8)

jo0ls said:
Those who attended Birmingham UK could leave with the standard version, or a voucher to get professional sent through the post - they just didnt have any stock yet. London should be the same, 8)
Only option was to get a voucher for the Professional edition - it seems its not a question of stock but of when it actually gets released.

Could we? Missed that one, then again an MSDN subscription is a wonderful thing... Pity they only have the professional edition currently available.

Back