Online XML Web Services to practice with

Denaes

Im going to need to create an application that can log onto an XML webservice (not sure if its .net or not yet) and send verification and receive one or more datatables in XML.

Im just stuck at how to practice. I dont have a web service personally.

Does anyone know of site with XML WebServices to practice off of?

Theres a search page for public web services on the start page of Visual Studio when you first load it up.

Thanks for the link PD.

My visual studio doesnt have any links to web services when it starts up that Ive seen. Ill look out for that when I start up next time.

I normally get a list of all the Visual Studio articles from the VS website. Maybe its on there somewhere.

at least I have some to play with :)

thank you.

When I open VS, I get a start page, I know there is an option to turn it off, but it has 3 tabs. The 2nd tab is "Online Resources", and the 2nd to bottom item is "XML Web services" where you can search for web services.

samsmithnz said:
When I open VS, I get a start page, I know there is an option to turn it off, but it has 3 tabs. The 2nd tab is "Online Resources", and the 2nd to bottom item is "XML Web services" where you can search for web services.
I dont know what visual studio version he is in, but it sounds like you are in 2003... If he is in 2005, it doesnt have those tabs. It just has article listings and recent projects and stuff on the start page.

rot13 said:
I dont know what visual studio version he is in, but it sounds like you are in 2003... If he is in 2005, it doesnt have those tabs. It just has article listings and recent projects and stuff on the start page.

Yeah, I have 2005. It has recent projects and then it downloads a list of recent featured articles from MSDN.

Whats the diff between a .net web service and non-.net ws?
Your talking about the source is .net?

Diesel said:
Whats the diff between a .net web service and non-.net ws?
Your talking about the source is .net?

Really, there is no difference between the two. A true Web Service is implemented with XML -- more specifically with SOAP.

The ".NET Web Service" is essentially a layer that sits on top of this and allows you to interact with the Web Service in a more natural, programmer-friendly manner. There is no need to do the low-level XML stuff.

The .NET SDK has a "wsdl.exe" tool that will generate a proxy class for you. You simply need to feed in the url of the WSDL file, which any Web Service should provide. The WSDL is just an XML file that defines the data to be exchanged over the Web Service. The WSDL file itself adheres to a schema defined for SOAP. This is essentially the same thing that happens when you choose "Add Web Reference" in Visual Studio.

Back