Does MSDN Subscription include MS eLearning

irasmith

Previously I have been using VS.NET 2003 Professional by itself meaning that I have never done the MSDN subscription thing.

At this point I am very seriously considering the MSDN subscription, the Professional level one, for VS.NET 2005 Professional edition.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the MS eLearning courses were avaible at no additonal charge to MSDN subscribers or if the prices associated with those courses still would need to be paid even if I was an MSDN subscriber?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/elearning/faq/ said:
What is eLearning?

eLearning is a effective and efficient system of self-paced personal training, available over the Internet. Microsoft has made courses available in eLearning form to cover several of the important new technologies included in Visual Studio 2005, like Connected Systems and Smart Clients, plus Windows Server 2003, with more planned for the near future.

What does MSDN eLearning cost?

The current eLearning offerings from MSDN are free. Your only cost would be from your Internet Service Provider.

Do I need an MSDN subscription to use eLearning?

No, you dont. Anyone may use MSDN eLearning. An MSDN subscription is recommended, to give you access to detailed reference materials and current Microsoft software development tools, but it is not required.

What is the schedule for MSDN eLearning?

MSDN eLearning is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: whenever you have the time and inclination to learn, and access to the Internet.

No prices that I can see.

I have MSDN and Its been great. I got mine discount through another provider for quite a bit less than the standard rate was. I was nervous at first, but now I have like 900 CDs & DVDs from microsoft and a free subscription to the MSDN magazine :D

Denaes said:
No prices that I can see.

I have MSDN and Its been great. I got mine discount through another provider for quite a bit less than the standard rate was. I was nervous at first, but now I have like 900 CDs & DVDs from microsoft and a free subscription to the MSDN magazine :D

Does MSDN magazine come included with the MSDN subscription? I ask because you mentioned you get it for free and that you also have an MSDN subscription. I have seen some of its articles on line and have enjoyed them very much, so I am thinking about going for it as well but did not want to subscribe to it if it came as part of the package deal.

I would say at this point that I am not so much nervous about doing the MSDN subscription as I am just settling in on which subscription would be right for me as the first time try. It does take a bit to go through what each level of subscription covers and then trying to peg based on that what my own use and growth needs would be for the near term future. I am getting close to deciding that the Professional level would be the one for me to start with, so I guess it is time to get nervous now since I am getting close to the final decision and ordering :)

irasmith said:
Does MSDN magazine come included with the MSDN subscription? I ask because you mentioned you get it for free and that you also have an MSDN subscription. I have seen some of its articles on line and have enjoyed them very much, so I am thinking about going for it as well but did not want to subscribe to it if it came as part of the package deal.

I dont know.

I filled out a survey at some point as an MSDN member and got the magazine free because of it. Im not sure if thats a standard MSDN membership thing or something I got in on.

I wouldnt pay for MSDN magazine. Some articles are worth their weight in gold. Others are useless to me.

Id say the Magazine as a whole is 50% ASP.Net, 30% winforms & 20% other .Net stuff (architecture, VS.Net or a specific langauge feature).

I dont do ASP.Net so that portion of the magazine just annoys me. I see a cool title and realize its not for me.

irasmith said:
I would say at this point that I am not so much nervous about doing the MSDN subscription as I am just settling in on which subscription would be right for me as the first time try. It does take a bit to go through what each level of subscription covers and then trying to peg based on that what my own use and growth needs would be for the near term future. I am getting close to deciding that the Professional level would be the one for me to start with, so I guess it is time to get nervous now since I am getting close to the final decision and ordering :)

I was only nervous because I got such a large discount. Part of me was terrified that it wouldnt be legit in some way.

Everything turned out fine. the only problem was that they assumed that CDs were better than DVDs for my subscription (even though I checked off DVDs) because of how MSDN updates. Luckily MS asked me to change to DVDs (cheaper costs for them) and I took them up. So now I have the binders and like 300 discs.

One thing to note, if any software on a current cd/dvd is updated (could have between 1 and 10 apps each) changes in a slight version, the CD/DVD is sent out to you again. Because Im a packrat, I have all the past versions as well and often dont take the time to replace the old disc with the new disc in the binder they gave me.

Denaes said:
I dont know.

I filled out a survey at some point as an MSDN member and got the magazine free because of it. Im not sure if thats a standard MSDN membership thing or something I got in on.

I wouldnt pay for MSDN magazine. Some articles are worth their weight in gold. Others are useless to me.

Id say the Magazine as a whole is 50% ASP.Net, 30% winforms & 20% other .Net stuff (architecture, VS.Net or a specific langauge feature).

I dont do ASP.Net so that portion of the magazine just annoys me. I see a cool title and realize its not for me.

I was only nervous because I got such a large discount. Part of me was terrified that it wouldnt be legit in some way.

Everything turned out fine. the only problem was that they assumed that CDs were better than DVDs for my subscription (even though I checked off DVDs) because of how MSDN updates. Luckily MS asked me to change to DVDs (cheaper costs for them) and I took them up. So now I have the binders and like 300 discs.

One thing to note, if any software on a current cd/dvd is updated (could have between 1 and 10 apps each) changes in a slight version, the CD/DVD is sent out to you again. Because Im a packrat, I have all the past versions as well and often dont take the time to replace the old disc with the new disc in the binder they gave me.

Very cool on everything turning out fine and you getting the real software and not something else. I fully understand that feeling as I certainly want to get the real thing when buying software.

Im guessing at this point that everything will be DVD based, which is fine as it is certainly less matter to keep up with and both my laptop and desktop have DVD drives in them, so I should be set for that.

Thanks for the advice, it has helped give me a clearer thought pattern in all of this.

Back