I love it when documentation works: WiFi at home

Nerseus

Danner
User Rank
*Expert*
This has nothing to do with programming, but its computer related so I thought Id share.

Ive been using a wireless router at home for about a year now but I didnt secure it - I had some trouble with drivers early on and didnt want to mess with things once it was working. My son wanted to play a 2 player LAN game so I finally broke down and setup the encryption on the router/wireless adapter.

The nice part was that the D-Link site (my router and card) had this in their FAQ and it worked on the first try. Maybe its a sign of the times that I AM surprised that things went smoothly. Im glad things are working! Since the wireless adapter is in my wifes computer, I chose to use the 128 bit encryption - a bit slower, but she mostly just cruises the net. :)

-ner

D-Link have a very nice suport, FAQ and everything. I had a problemwith the rooter reeboting when downloading too much, they really helped me out and even proposed me to send it back to them for a new one... but my friend have a linksys wireless router and had... a VERY hard time seting it corectly... so you might just have been lucky enough to get the right compagny ^^.

Ive always used the linksys wireless routers with a 4 port switch and theyve worked wonderfully. Speaking of documentation, the one time I flashed the firmware, this was the message I got. Theres nothing like a fine attention to details...

Back