Vista

sjn78

So I downloaded all 3.2GB of Vista today and installed it on a 2nd partition on my pc. Few buggy things that I still have to fix to get XP back up and running. Should of searched the net first before I installed it, a few tricks to get it done right, but anyways.

All seems to be running pretty smoothly, no sound though, creative havnt made vista drivers yet.

I then run a program I have been working on in .Net 2. Was a bit of a shock, controls are all different colours, although some controls look pretty good in vista. Going by that, I think most programs will need a lot of work done to make them look good.

Will have to try and install a few other things, see how they go.

Has anyone else install this yet? And what problems have they come across so far. Ive only had it running for a few hours now and nothing has crashed.

Well how does it stack up? is it a lot slower than XP? How was the installation?

Features of note? Do they have any of the 3D enabled yet?

I installed the latest build, and it is a little clunky. I have 1gb memory, 2ghz pentium M, 256mb graphics card. The visuals are okay, sometimes a little over the top. For now, just playing around with it. They added some nice games too ;)

Im running a 3.2GHz, 1gb memory and 128mb graphics card. Seems to boot up the same speed as XP. The only thing I found with performance was the redrawing of windows on your desktop, sometimes that got a bit slow and annoying.

The menu system will take a little whie to get use to, but luckily they have Classic View everywhere in case you cant find something in their new layout. I was looking for the 3D rotating windows as you see on their website. Cant find it so I guess its not implemented yet. Think I skimmed by something when installing it that not many graphics cards will have this ability so they are using DirectX for now.

Installation was pretty easy, easier than XP. But then again, this is BETA so maybe when the proper release comes out there will be more installation options. Took a while to install compared to XP, but Vista is on a DVD not a regular CD.

They have taken so many ideas from Linux. Just open Explorer and you will see this. Click on a file and you can have a preview pane of the contents of it, not your tiny little thumbnails like in XP.

One cool thing I noticed with the dual boot. If you go into XP, C:\ is the drive where ur xp is and vista is D:\, go into Vista, C:\ is where ur vista files and xp is D:\.

Back