Scripting language

Wessel

I am creating a new (freeware) scripting language and I would like to get some feedback on what features are wanted by scripting/programming communities. Im trying to combine nice features from various languages and incorporate them in my own. Its called SteelScript (codename for now), I have some code examples here so you can get a better idea of its current features: http://steelsoft.net/steelscript.txt.

Heres a current list:
- C based syntax
- Functions can be used as objects
- Embedded functions
- COM automation
- Associative arrays
- Callbacks
- XML integration
- Try/catch error handling
- Eval (like javascript eval) functionality

I would like to know the stuff you think is a good idea to be integrated into SteelScript. I developed it using the .net framework, it builds for 1.1 and 2.0. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Edit:
Something funny, I just realized I posted a similar topic here 5 years back about some other (stupid) script language I made. Seems like ages ago =), my second attempt looks a bit better.
http://www.computerhelp.forum/showthread.php?t=81144

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Something to work around using Reflections. (i hate that)
2. Include something in the lines of LinQ, but keep the syntax SQL-ish???
3. Generic Lists <-- I like these...
4. Select.. Case statement.

these are all I can think off, off the bat, will come up with others as soon as I can.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply!

1: Im not really sure what you mean here. If you mean that you dont like reflection being used in the language, its not, only with com automation.

2: I guess a simplified version of LINQ would be possible, thanks for the suggestion =)

3: You cant really specify types at this point, so there is no advantage in generic lists.

4: A switch statement is supported. Just like if/else/elseif/foreach/for/while/do/switch/try/catch etc

1. That is good news. I like the thought that Reflection is available but the learning curve is a tad too high in my opinion. So maybe a simpler version?
2. LinQ seems as simple as possible already, am just not so comfortable with the "From this list, where it is equal to this, select this" syntax. I mean, it is so close to a SQL query, why not mimic the SQL syntax right? To reduce the burden of learning yet another construct/syntax.
3. Then XML declaration within the script maybe?
4. Thank you for the Switch statement..

one more..

is the += construct out of the question? I mean, it beats the heck out of declaring/adding an event handler.

2. Im not to sure about this one though, its one thing to make a script language, another to create and integrate some sort of SQL engine.

3. This is already available (check examples at the bottom)

+= operator is available, but I think you mean the usage of this operator when adding event handlers, this isnt possible.

2. Im not to sure about this one though, its one thing to make a script language, another to create and integrate some sort of SQL engine.
No need for an engine, I was refering to something to "query" a list or an enumerable object. Scenario is: I create and populate a dataset, and I want to be able to perform some sort of "query", most probably a filter on the dataset without going back to the database. A single-table query maybe because I think inner joins are a bit too much. :D

+= operator is available, but I think you mean the usage of this operator when adding event handlers, this isnt possible.

Darn....;) Yes I did mean += for event handlers.

Please consider the fact that this is not a fully featured programming language like vb.net or c#.net, it is primarily meant as a scripting language to be embedded. .NET objects will not be available unless you create wrappers in the host application, like I did with the GUI objects in the script examples. You are talking about datasets and databases, they wont be supported unless you use COM with ado or something.

Back