Download Queue list

rfazendeiro

I need some pointers on how to implemente this so if anyone can point me to the right direction i apreciate it.

So my company has well over 600 colaborators all over the country and we want to let them download over the internet some winform applications. They would access a webpage, authenticate, choose what applications they need and download them.

Also, when there are some updates, these applications will update themselves using the same authentication.

Since they are too many (like i said iver 600) it could really screwup bandwidth if we let them all download /update without any restrictions. So my ideia is to limit the number of active connections and give the user their rank to when downloading will start.

For example, the max connections are 10 and 15 user are trying to download.

10 users would be downloading while the other 5 would see a rank number telling them the waiting list (the number of users ahead of them).

How can i implement something along these lines? Im using C# 2.0, Ajax.Net

thx to all

Have you considered Click Once as a deployment mechanism, although it doesnt implement the queuing you are after it does provide an easy way to deploy applications from a web server and provides auto updating capabilities.

Roughly how large are these applications and what kind of demand are you expecting?

I have considered Click one as a deployment mechanism but my company did not alow it (internal regulation and i didnt really want to go any deeper. its a complex company -.-; ).

the applications are normally <100mb, more rounding like 50mb each. As i said, we have like 600 outside parteners and the main problem is that they start working at the same time. So imagine 100 partens use the same application and start it up roughly at the same time and there is an update. I would have 100 ppl doing updates and taking too much bandwidth. The company is very restricting on how much bandwdith we can use too.

So i wanted to limit the number of active connection to the server and give the user some feedback on the queue list of waiting ppl. But i dont know where to start :/

Any help is apreciated

thx in advance

I first though one click also.
I think Id probably go with a download client. I foresee problems monitoring the downloads, completed, timeouts, disconnects etc. Id imagine youd need something on the client sending its status to the server. This client would then be able to show that the user is queued and where they are in the queue.

I think maintaining a queue and reporting a user

Back