msi installer not opening for vs 2008 c++ app

EDN Admin

Im a newbie when it comes to making a windows app. Ive created a VC++ project (Visual Studio 2008) that has both managed and unmanaged code. Ive been working on testing it on another machine that does not have Visual Studio or any other dev
app. I read that there are issues with using the debug configuration on another machine so I have been using the release configuration.
In the same solution, Ive created an installer project. I added the CRT and MFC merge modules (I think they are required, but not 100% certain. This is where things get fuzzy for me).
On my XP Pro machine, the installer file doesnt open. Ive had various errors depending on what merge modules I included. Before adding the merge modules, clicking on the msi or setup.exe file would say something like "the application
configuration is incorrect." With the merge modules, it now says "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."
I dont know where the issue lies. Ive heard of statically linking dll files, but I dont know which ones I need and how to statically link to them in my project as well as changing settings to keep from linking to the default dlls. There is
just too general documentation to figure out what is wrong and what I need to do to deploy this program. I think I need someone who can give me a little more specifics as to what I need to do.
Not sure what other info will help, so let me know.
Thanks!

View the full article

Back