How to keep sync a TFS git repository with the original third party git repository in GitHub

• Thread starter Thread starter Shahyad Sharghi
  • Start date Start date
S

Shahyad Sharghi

How to keep sync a TFS git repository with the original third party git repository in GitHub or any other web-based hosting service for version control using Git.

Obviously, the solution is “Fork.” When I say “Fork”, the first question you may think about is how to implement “Pull Request” and how GitHub can pull commits from an on premise TFS.

My suggested solution is in reverse direction if TFS could fork/push/pull commits to/from GitHub project.

So, I am looking for three simple TFS features:

• Fork from a GitHub project.
  • Push to the upstream GitHub project.
  • Pull from the upstream GitHub project.

If the company has a GitHub account, development team can fork from GitHub third party project to a company GitHub project. Then they could fork from this new GitHub forked project to a TFS Git repository. Then they can sync to the original third party project using GitHub procedures here Syncing a fork - User Documentation. Finally they could push/pull commits from/to the tfs git repository to/from the GitHub project belongs to the company GitHub account.

The requirement makes sense in a software development team working in an enterprise company. The company would like to keep all source codes in its tfs git repository while development team would like to be easily sync with (usually pull from) the original GitHub project.

Continue reading...

Back