Excel Addin not loading

• Thread starter Thread starter Olivier Brodeur
  • Start date Start date
O

Olivier Brodeur

I deployed an Excel addin using ClickOnce. I added the required prerequisites Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime.

It used to work properly, but since a couple of days now, new users that install the addin get a successfull installation but it is always disabled. The addin is still working properly for people that installed it a couple of weeks ago. It is just not working for new users.

To troubleshoot this issue I tried the following steps on a workstation where the addin is not working:

- Verify if the addin is part of the add/remove programs list. It is there.

- Verify if the addin is part of the COM Add-ins list under File > Options > Add-ins. It is there but, but never checked. Checking it does nothing. After going back to the list, the addin is always unchecked. The Visual Studio Tools for Office Adaptor for Excel is missing. It is there in the workstations where the addin functions normally.

- Find its registry key to look at the state of the LoadBehavior variable for the addin. There is no registry key for the addin under HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Office > Excel > Addins.

- Check to see if the addin had been hard-disabled by Excel. The addin is in the "Inactive Application Add-ins" group not the "Disabled Applications Add-ins".

- Manually install the VSTO Tools for Office (vstor_redist.exe) and check if the VSTO Adaptor for Excel is available in the COM Add-ins. The VSTO Adaptor for Excel is still missing.

- Check if the VSTO Adaptor for Excel is part of the Automation list of addins. It is not there.

- Set the "VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS" environment variable to 0, and try to load the addin to see if a dialog box would show up. Nothing happened.

I found all these troubleshooting steps in existing help threads about VSTO addins not loading. My situation seems different then what I am able to find and I cannot resolve this issue. Please help.

Continue reading...

Back