How to debug issues with the Visual Studio IDE and how it handles parsing and loading the XML of a .vcxproj file

• Thread starter Thread starter Jeff Hegedus
  • Start date Start date
J

Jeff Hegedus

I have a two projects in a solution. ndtechSample is an executable. ndtech is a static library.

When I try to add a reference from ndtechSample to ndtech, I get the error...

"One or more errors occurred.

A reference to 'ndtech' cannot be added because it is incompatible with this project."

This is not a general problem with all projects I have created, but really just with ndtech. I have been changing the xml of the project file by hand to support integration with another tool. I know that is bad but I don't have a lot of options. None that I really like at the moment.

What I really need is a way to debug exactly what the IDE is choking on. Both projects (the executable and the library) are designed to be cross platform. Built with the typical windows tool chain for UWP and built with a Makefile for Linux. I use preprocessor variables and #if statements to compile only the code required based on which Platform is selected.

There is another bit of odd behavior. When the solution loads, the ouput window shows the following warnings if "Show output from:" is set to Solution.

C:\Projects\Git\22ndtech\c++\ndtechSample\ndtechSample.vcxproj : warning : Platform '[ML, 0]' referenced in the project file 'ndtechSample' cannot be found.

C:\Projects\Git\22ndtech\c++\ndtech\ndtech.vcxproj : warning : Platform '[ML, 0]' referenced in the project file 'ndtech' cannot be found.

I'm mentioning this because I thought it might be related.

I've launched Visual Studio with TRACEDESIGNTIME=true and there are no errors or warnings in the in the designtime.log files created. I've also launched with /Log and I couldn't find anything related in the ActivityLog.xml file either.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to debug this type of a problem like this with the Visual Studio IDE and it's handling of .vcxproj files, I would greatly appreciate it.

jhegedus

Continue reading...

Back