Visual Studio 2015 - Git repo on shared drive getting error updating code

• Thread starter Thread starter DHood82
  • Start date Start date
D

DHood82

I am the LAN Administrator and we have some developers on another team here that are getting an error saying "failed to rename lockfile to "<location/file>" and if you try to navigate to the file in the git repo, there is no file.

Our developers are using TFS 2018 Express and they have copied the project files to a git repo on their personal Home directory on our file server. I am not sure if that is a bad thing or not given my zero knowledge on visual studio and TFS. This happens with any changes on any project and it started about 2 or more weeks ago. Everything works fine if the repo is on the local C: drive and it also works if someone uses VS 2017, just not 2015 version. I have not been able to get much more diagnostic data from the machines to help troubleshoot this.

What is the common or best practice when using git repositories when developers have there own projects on the TFS server? Does Visual Studio not work well with shared drives? Each person with a Home directory has Modify permissions to the folder.

Thanks.
David Hood

Continue reading...

Back