Visual Studio (2015) Questions, 32/64 Mixed setup questions

• Thread starter Thread starter hector santos
  • Start date Start date
H

hector santos

I am finally making the plans to recompile a very large platform application to 64 bit. The odds are good I will be doing mixed 32/64 and even a few C# projects. I have some setup questions. I am using VS2015.

1) Whats the difference between amd64 and x64?

2 For a x64 Command Prompt Window, I prepared a shortcut to call "vcvarsall.bat x64" passing x64 option. What are the options amd64_x86 or x86_amd64 for? What compiler environment do they offer? Why/When would I use it? I couldn't find any online info on them.

3) When starting a brand new project with VS IDE. I don't see a "WIN64" template to create a C++ x64 project. Do I select Win32 and then change the target to x64? That seem to work in a test project.

4) For existing 32bit (x86) projects, what are the proper steps to create a x64 configuration and project? I am following this link:

How to: Configure Visual C++ Projects to Target 64-Bit, x64 Platforms

But the step 5 seems to be off. I don't see a Win64 or x64 option (except in the Copy from). Do I need to type "Win64" or x64? in the Type or select the new platform?

Thanks

PS: Is is true, VS2019 will no loner offer targeting XP? This could stop me from getting VS2019 is it doesn't offer a way to compile 32 bit v1xx_xp versions? I have lots of paying customers who use 32 bit XP for Games playing. I can't abandoned them.

Hector Santos, CTO Santronics Software, Inc. Santronics Software, Inc.

Continue reading...

Back