SSDT tabular model data loading / ID error

• Thread starter Thread starter lmh101
  • Start date Start date
L

lmh101

Hi,

I new to Visual studio, and I am in the process of building my first tabular model in Visual studio, having already been using powerBI for a year or so.

I have an Azure SQL database setup, with data tables. I can access the database fine through SSMS, Power BI etc fine. I can also access the data fine when using the data model on the workspace server rather than an integrated workspace.

When using the model the model as in integrated workspace mode, when "Getting data" through power query in my tabular project in visual studio, I can login into the database fine, i can even preview the various data tables and open them in power query. However, when i try to import the data - it can get past stage one of the processing - and i get the following error

“Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation..”

Which leaves me when a table with headers for the columns - but no actual data.

When i revert the data model back to workspace server (i.e. integrated workspace set to false) - i can upload the data.

So i was happily building my model on the workspace server - HOWEVER - when i came to adding roles and user to those roles - i cannot use the workspace server - or I get an ID error - as I am using an Azure AD. - see below

An error occurred while opening the model on the workspace database. Reason: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'ID cannot be specified for Azure Analysis Services role member: 'member@domain'.

This ID error is fixed when i use an integrated workspace - as recommended - but then i can't load the data in.

So I am stuck between:

- integrated workspace with no data

- workspace server - without the ability to add AzureAD IDs

Any help with either of the issues would be much appreciated

thanks,
Laurence

Continue reading...

Back