How to enable Deploy for a custom Makefile vcxproj

• Thread starter Thread starter Michael Kujawa
  • Start date Start date
M

Michael Kujawa

I have an executable I wish to deploy to a device via command-line tools. I wish to deploy this executable via "Deploy Solution", and thus want to check the "Deploy" checkbox in the Configuration Manager. This means that Visual Studio needs to think my project is "deployable". (I'm currently using 2015 but will switch versions if something was added/fixed in a future version.

I had hoped this would be as simple as adding a Deploy Target in my vcxproj, like so:

<Target Name="Deploy">
<Message Text="Hello World" />
</Target>

But this is not working--that project does not have the ability to check the "Deploy" checkbox, nor is it considered if I do a Deploy Solution. (I can build the Deploy target from the command-line with msbuild, though.)

My vcxproj is currently using Makefile as the ConfigurationType and MakeFileProj as the Keyword in the globals PropertyGroup. The Platform is set to something I made up. I'm not strongly tied to using Makefile; I'll use any project type I can which will work. I don't even need intellisense to work for this project (I already have another vcxproj for building the code.)

(At some point in playing around with this, I did get Visual Studio to think the project was deployable! But I can't repeat that achievement.)

Continue reading...

Back